You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-05 11:23:37

manueleberl

Problem with WLAN interface and DHCP

Hello,
I finally managed to get my WLAN working more or less, but there's still two problems:
The first is that on startup or whenever I do "/etc/rc.d/network restart" I get error messages like "SIOCDELRT/SIOCADDRT: No such process." and it says "Could not associate wlan0 - try increasing WIRELESS_TIMEOUT and check network is WEP or has no security". I did increase the timeout, but it didn't have any effect,  and the network is WEP. However, when I "ifconfig wlan0 up" or, after rebooting, just wait until startup is completed, the interface is connected and associated to an AP - so I don't know what this error message is about in the first place.
The second is that although I configured wlan0 as dhcp in rc.conf, I have to start dhcpcd wlan0 manually to get an IP.

#2 2009-01-05 19:12:57

zenlord
Website

Re: Problem with WLAN interface and DHCP

I guess you're wlan0 is not brought up automatically on startup. Did you follow the wiki to add this to /etc/rc.conf:
eth0="dhcp"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0 wlan0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)
DAEMONS=(...network...)

I can really recommend the use of netcfg +profiles. It makes connecting to different networks that much easier:
#eth0="dhcp"
#wlan0="dhcp"
#INTERFACES=(eth0 wlan0)
#ROUTES=(!gateway)
NETWORKS=(auto-wireless wlan0)
DAEMONS=(...net-profiles...)

and add your profile to /etc/network.d/

Zl.

#3 2009-01-06 00:42:29

manueleberl

I've done all that, except the netcfg stuff, because I actually don't need it. I only need to access one network from that computer.

Still, the same error messages and no automatical IP assignment.

#4 2009-01-06 04:37:44

link2009

I recommend 'wifi-radar'

pacman -Sy wifi-radar

It works like a charm for me (I usually only use my home network but when I travel it helps me stay connected to other networks).

All I do is add wifi-radar to my DAEMONS list in /etc/rc.conf and it does everything by itself after you configure it through a GUI (I'm using XFCE4, I'm assuming you're running X11).

As a side note, don't combine too many processes or daemons to manage WLAN because then you'll have all sorts of conflicts. Make sure your WEP key is correct and check for any other error messages.

#5 2009-01-06 10:38:41

manueleberl

I'll try it, I'm also using xfce. I don't have any WLAN processes/daemons running except network.

Board footer