You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-07 19:21:21

saciel

Can't get TP-Link Tl-WN321G Wlan-USB-Stick to work.

I've recenetly bought the mentioned USB-Wlan-Stick as I thought that it was well supported in Linux, however, I can't get it to work. Any help would be appreciated

I've installed rt73-cvs from the AUR, rt2x00-rt71w-fw form Core (rt73-cvs depends on this) as well as dhcp and wpa_supplicant.

The module rt73 loads and with 'iwconfig' I can see a new device 'wlan0' which I can bring up using 'ifconfig wlan0 up'. The netcfg-profile looks like this:

CONNECTION="wireless"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wpa"
ESSID="KLIMCZAK"
KEY="XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
IP="dhcp"
TIMEOUT=20
IWOPTS="mode managed channel 1"

It is exactly the same as the one on my laptop (only the Interface-name is different). On my laptop (Intel IPW3945 wlan-card) it works just fine.

netcfg on the computer with the tp-link-stick always fails with:
":: home up  - Wireless association failed. [FAIL]"
While trying, the LED on the stick is flashing.

Any ideas what I could try? Or could someone at least explain to me what exactly this error-message is supposed to tell me?

edit:
By the way, I also tried the 'rt73usb' module that comes with the kernel, but it doesn't add an interface to the list at 'iwconfig'.
Using 'rt73' I also tried to set up the network manually with:
iwconfig wlan0 essid KLIMCZAK
ifconfig wlan 0 up
dhcpcd
Where the last step fails with:
err, wlan0: timed out
warn, wlan0: using IPV4LL address 169.254.105.6
I'm not sure if this error appears because I haven't invoked any wpa-stuff yet or if it is because of another problem. Same error appears on the commandline when I try to setup the configuration using rutilt.

Last edited by saciel (2009-01-07 19:43:33)

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer