You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-20 11:50:29

Olnex

How to use Nokia 3G phone as modem in Archlinux?

Hello everyone, one of my friends is using Ubuntu and I told him Archlinux is faster and simpler, he wants to try it. He is using Ubuntu 8.10 and he has a 3G Nokia phone(symbian system), which he use for internet. When he plugin his phone, and select PC suite from the phone, for the first time, Ubuntu asks for service provider, he selects Three, then there is an option in gnome-network-manager Three, he can connect it and disconnect it.
He wants to know is it as easy as Ubuntu for archlinux, or feasible with some efforts?
Thanks a lot!

#2 2009-01-20 12:39:58

leeyee

Re: How to use Nokia 3G phone as modem in Archlinux?

Hi, I guess it's not that easy as in Ubuntu, but not very difficult either. In my case, I can easily use Nokia N70 as a modem either via USB or bluetooth. Actually when using Ubuntu I also configured it manually by editing configuration files.

When connect Nokia phone to Linux, the kernel would automatically drive it as /dev/ttyACM0, then you can use this device as a modem. Through editing a calling file in /etc/ppp/peers and a chat script, you can then dial GPRS modem;

If using bluetooth, you need to driver the phone as /dev/rfcomm0 with rfcomm tool, details about this please refer to: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_interne … _gsm_phone

Archlinux x86_64 on Thinkpad T400
Intel X4500MHD / ATI HD3470 Graphics, 2G RAM, 160G HD

#3 2009-01-20 13:39:58

zenlord
Website

Re: How to use Nokia 3G phone as modem in Archlinux?

Ubuntu schieves this ease of use with networkmanager 0.7, which is not available yet in archlinux (core/extra). I believe it is available in AUR, or you can build it with ABS.

Zl.

Board footer