You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-25 00:50:55

JordyD

wpa_supplicant woes

I'm having trouble setting up my wpa_supplicant. I've followed the ArchWiki to the letter, and get caught on wpa_passphrase. I type:

wpa_passphrase "mySSID" "mypassphrase"

and it gives me the error:

-bash: mypassphrase: event not found

If it matters any, I'm using an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG network card. I have all the firmware installed. Tell me if I left out any information.

Thanks,
Jordy

"UNIX: as in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name." --- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

#2 2009-01-25 01:03:39

fwojciec

Re: wpa_supplicant woes

That exact command pasted into the terminal works fine on my system.  I'm using the current version of wpa_supplicant from [core] repo.

#3 2009-01-25 01:15:16

JordyD

fwojciec wrote:

That exact command pasted into the terminal works fine on my system.  I'm using the current version of wpa_supplicant from [core] repo.

Well, the first character in my actual passphrase is !, and after taking that off, it works. Is there something about that that wpa_supplicant doesn't like? Is there a way to include this in my passphrase without getting an error?

Thanks for posting by the way, it helped me realize that the character was causing the error.

"UNIX: as in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name." --- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie

#4 2009-01-25 01:39:33

fwojciec

I think it's more to do with how bash parses that expression.  Maybe escaping the "!" like so "\!" would help...

#5 2009-01-25 02:08:59

JordyD

fwojciec wrote:

I think it's more to do with how bash parses that expression.  Maybe escaping the "!" like so "\!" would help...

Well, that gives me a hex code, but the output also includes the backslash in the "#psk=" line. So I'm thinking that it include it in the hex code.

EDIT:
Oh, nevermind. I found that if I take out the quotes in the command and add in the backslash, it gives me no errors and the correct passphrase on the "#psk=" line.

Thanks for you help,
Jordy

Last edited by JordyD (2009-01-25 02:11:09)

Board footer