You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-28 18:27:03

speng

[SOLVED]Samba/Cups guest access

I am setting up my printer so my mum can use it downstairs. She can print fine, but to be able to do this she needs to go in my network places, view workgroup computers and then double click on (spengpc) then type in a username/password which I had setup before.

This works great, but I want to be able to let her print without having to login to the server.

[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = Arch Linux Print Server
hosts allow = 192.168.1.101

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = yes
    # to allow user 'guest account' to print.
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = yes
    create mode = 0700
    use client driver = yes

That is my /etc/samba/smb.conf file.

Is there something I might have done wrong?

Last edited by speng (2009-01-28 21:02:44)

#2 2009-01-28 19:34:24

kjon

Re: [SOLVED]Samba/Cups guest access

is your mom using winxp? I would recommend you something. CUPS is ipp capable, so set cups' preferences in order to 'print from the internet' and 'allow remote administration'. The printers can be easily installed as 'network printers' from the respective assistant. Now, when the assistant asks you where the printer is, you just give its complete URL. For instance, I got a few ipp printers hooked up at my house, and if I need to print to my cx3900, the address (for winxp) is: http://blackbox:631/printers/cx3900

When using this method ensure that everybody is capable of printing. (or you'll need to add the user and pass on the printer's url).

Another solution is download bonjour for windows. You install that little proggie and it will detect and setup every printer which supports avahi (in this case, cups does support it). If you enable 'Share published printers connected to this system', bonjour will detect these printers and you'll setup them with very few clics.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2009-01-28 21:02:31

speng

Thanks, I hadn't tried that so I'm sure it will work.
Also, she is indeed using Win XP.

Thanks for your help. smile

#4 2009-01-29 01:24:31

kjon

ok. Tell me if it worked out for you big_smile

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

Board footer