You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-30 17:56:35

knob

problems when booting and video-ing

Hello, the Newbie Community has just increased by 1. smile
I have an Acer Extensa 5630G latpop ( http://www.linlap.com/wiki/acer+extensa+5630g ) and i'm having the following issues, hope you can help and clear things out for me:

1st. : when im booting arch it freezes when it's checking the dvd writer and it says something like :
                   "ata2.00 : ATAPI : OPTIARC DVRW...
                    ata2.00 : qc timeout ..
                    ata2.00 : failed to IDENTIFY ..."
           After this, it stays on these lines for 8-9 secons and passes. I want to fix this because i'm waiting too much to boot.
           How can i do it, or where can i find the log, to paste exactly what it says.

2nd. : i installed xorg and ati catalyst driver according to Beginners Guide\ATI - ArchWiki and generated xorg.conf with hwd -xa , but it
           seems i dont have the file set up for 1280x800 , the resolution i want, and modifying the "Screen" Section it doesn't help because i have
           to add a ModeLine too . I didnt found a tool that can generate the code for this resolution .

Maybe someone discussed about this in another thread but i don't know what to put in the search box to find the answer to my problem.
If you answer my thread, please be patient and explain step by step what should i do . Thanks in advance and i'm grateful for any solution.

#2 2009-01-30 18:13:11

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: problems when booting and video-ing

With respect to your first issue, I have seen that happen on an old Dell Inspiron 8600. I recently installed on that machine for my brother in law and on ata2 it says "device is slow, please be patient". this happens 3 times and then everything boots normally. I was visiting them only for a day, so I couldn't do more research on it and since it went into the desktop without issues, I just let it slide. But I will be interested in knowing the solution as well. I cannot try anything out since the machine is not with me, but if a solution is found/available, then I might ask my BIL to follow the instructions and get it fixed too

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-01-30 23:41:43

knob

Re: problems when booting and video-ing

Yes it's like you're saying. It does this 3 times and then it boots normally.
So is there anyone who can help me out?

Board footer