You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 00:55:12

setecastronomy

networkmanager and /usr/sbin/ip issue after system upgrade

Dear all!

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm not up to speed with networkmanager,
so please bear with me.

Some hours ago, I made an attempt to upgrade my Thinkpad R61i
using

sudo pacman -Syu

after reboot everything seemed to work fine, except for the networkmanager applet
(knetworkmanager) complained about NetworkManager not running. (Last upgrade
prior to this one was end of November last year, and until today everything
worked without problems, including nm).

I then proceeded by killing the instance of knetworkmanager3 and tried to start
networkmanager manually, but

sudo /etc/rc.d/networkmanager start

(as well as stop and restart) produced no output at all (e.g. neither FAIL nor DONE),
no error messages on stderr, /var/log/messages.log, etc., Nada.
Poking around in the /etc.rc.d/networkmanager file, I stumbled upon these lines

#We need /usr/sbin/ip
[ -x /usr/sbin/ip ] || exit 0

Which seems to be the reason for the silent death of this script. Interestingly enough,
these lines are not present in the networkmanager rc.d script on another computer
that was updated on the 28th of January, and there is no /usr/sbin/ip on both of
these computers. I remember seeing a message during that upgrade process,
something about iproute or so (IIRC, it was two in the morning), but since
everything worked without manual interaction back then, I more or less
forget to investigate before upgrading my laptop.

Next, I commented the test for /usr/sbin/ip out, with the result that the Networkmanger
script acts like usual (e.g. after start, it displays DONE).
But trying to connect to a network yields this error messages

<Warn nm_spawn_process(): nm_spawn_process('/usr/sbin/ip route flush dev wlan0'):
could not spawn process. (Failed to execute child process "/usr/sbin/ip" (No such file or 
directory))

and so on, due to obvious reasons.

My question is: Am I to stupid for an (unattended) upgrade or is this a regression/bug ?

I would be grateful for any comments or suggestions.

Best Regards
Martin

#2 2009-02-01 01:04:59

ahcaliskan

Re: networkmanager and /usr/sbin/ip issue after system upgrade

networkmanger in testing has version 0.7.0. Have you tried with newest version, since version 0.6.6 seems kind of outdated.

Last edited by ahcaliskan (2009-02-01 01:06:29)

#3 2009-02-01 09:30:25

setecastronomy

Thank you for your quick reply!

After enabling the testing repository in /etc/pacman.conf and a subsequent
system update, networkmanager 0.7 is installed. On the other machine,
this already happened last Tuesday, so that seems to be the reason
why this two computers behaved differently (should have checked the
version myself, 2AM is not a good time for a system upgrade)

I'm still not sure why the system upgrade interfered with my networkmanager 0.6.x,
since I always had the impression that enabling testing is not a step
recommended for all setups (and my laptop is my production machine,
hence I usually strife for more conservative settings).

Afterwards, things look a little bit better, the nm-applet tries to connect to
my AP, although after a few seconds a timeout is reached and the
dialog for entering my password (it is a WPA2 protected network)
appears. Re-Entering the password (verified to be the correct password
with my other computer) is not successful, the relevant error messages
from /var/log/messages.log are

Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'ssid' value 'diskworld'                                                                        
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'scan_ssid' value '1'                                                                           
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'key_mgmt' value 'WPA-PSK'                                                                      
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Config: added 'psk' value '<omitted>'                                                                         
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.                                                  
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Config: set interface ap_scan to 1                                                                            
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> disconnected                                               
Feb  1 10:10:55 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning                                               
Feb  1 10:10:57 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> associating                                                
Feb  1 10:10:57 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associating -> associated                                              
Feb  1 10:10:57 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associated -> 4-way handshake                                          
Feb  1 10:11:05 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  4-way handshake -> disconnected                                        
Feb  1 10:11:05 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning                                               
Feb  1 10:11:06 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> associated                                                 
Feb  1 10:11:06 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associated -> 4-way handshake                                          
Feb  1 10:11:10 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  wlan0: link timed out.                                                                                        
Feb  1 10:11:14 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  4-way handshake -> disconnected                                        
Feb  1 10:11:14 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning                                               
Feb  1 10:11:15 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  scanning -> 4-way handshake                                            
Feb  1 10:11:15 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  4-way handshake -> associated                                          
Feb  1 10:11:16 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  associated -> 4-way handshake
Feb  1 10:11:20 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): association took too long.
Feb  1 10:11:20 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): device state change: 5 -> 6
Feb  1 10:11:20 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0/wireless): asking for new secrets
Feb  1 10:11:20 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  4-way handshake -> disconnected
Feb  1 10:11:35 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  wlan0: link timed out.
Feb  1 10:12:32 carrot NetworkManager: <info>  (wlan0): supplicant connection state:  disconnected -> scanning

Using knetworkmanager3 (version 0.2.2 ), there is little progress to report:
According to the tray-applet, there are no active devices (although ifconfig
and iwconfig report wlan0 to be up and running), trying to enter
the settings menu after activating the wireless networks crashes knetworkmanager
with an error message of

knetworkmanager: symbol lookup error: /opt/kde/lib/libkdeinit_knetworkmanager.so: undefined symbol: cipher_wpa_psk_hex_new

I will try to use wicd instead of networkmanager,
but since some of my colleagues use this laptop and are
more familiar with NetworkManager (including having already
a lot of passwords for different WiFi networks stored in their keyrings),
I would prefer to get nm running.

Any further ideas and instructions would be very welcome,
thanks in advance & best regards

Martin

#4 2009-02-01 17:33:28

setecastronomy

Ok, wirless works again (with the nm-applet),
I have no idea why since nothing changed.

Still, I woudl be interested to find out what exactly caused the problems
during upgrade wile keeping networkmanager 0.6.x due to
not having the testing repo enabled.

Kind regards
Martin

Board footer