You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 19:04:49

panosk

automount samba shares with wicd or otherwise

Hello

Since Dolphin cannot really mount samba shares, I thought I will try to automount them through wicd. So, I created a script that simply runs the mount command

mount -t cifs //MyServer/MyDir -o username=myuser,password=mypassword,iocharset=utf8 /mnt/MountPoint

and put it in the post-connection box. It works. However, I would like to unmount the share when I disconnect (to be precise, just before the disconnection) or when I log out. Unfortunately, the after-disconnection box in wicd runs the script exactly as stated - after the disconnection, so I can't put an unmount script in there. The reason I want to do this is because I am using a laptop and I want to automatically mount my shares when I connect to my home wireless network.

Any ideas?

#2 2009-02-01 20:02:25

scarecrow

Re: automount samba shares with wicd or otherwise

Why don't you put the same string in /etc/fstab with a "noauto" switch and then simply run
sudo mount /mnt/MountPoint
whenever you need it?
This is what I'm doing myself since smbnetfs/smbfs began behaving like crap (not sure why, but I'm too lazy to debug their numerous and inconsequent failures).

Last edited by scarecrow (2009-02-01 20:03:02)

Microshaft delenda est

#3 2009-02-01 22:38:18

panosk

Re: automount samba shares with wicd or otherwise

Thanks folk smile, I followed your advice, although it took me some time to figure out how to handle spaces in share names inside fstab.. (the usual escape chars just don't work).

Board footer