You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-01 18:06:22

esters

[SOLVED] Unable to connect to the internet

Here's my connection scheme:

DSL Modem ( DHCP )-> Router -> ArchLinux Box ( Primary Box )
                        |
                  Laptop ( Windows Vista )

I recently got an another PC, so I installed Arch Linux but there is when the fun started, The NIC is VIA Rhine II ( VT 8235 ) but the problem is that I can't connect to internet, I tried to remove the router, tried by directly connecting the old PC with Modem, but no luck, the Ethernet light doesn't blink. After that I tried an external PCI Realtek 8139D card but and it didn't work, Both times i used dhcpd eth0 or dhcpd eth1 command and they both exited with a timeout. But what amazes me is that I have another ( primary box ) which is connected to the wireless router and it works flawlessly without problems.

hwdetect --show-net outputs "NET    : mii via-rhine "

lspci - http://pastebin.ca/1324638
dmesg - http://pastebin.ca/1324639

Last edited by esters (2009-02-02 15:21:21)

#2 2009-02-01 20:48:55

TheBodziO
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to connect to the internet

From logs that you've pasted it seems that card is found, drivers are in place and loaded and cable provides proper signal.
You've written that light doesn't blink but is it lit (on both ends: router and your arch box)? If so then cable damage is unlikely.
Next question is: do you have firewall on your arch box?
Then what are your router settings? Does it have DHCP (I presume so but asking nevertheless smile) up on its local interface? If so, does netmask or max leases enable to both of your machines to have network access at the same time (unlikely since you're writing about dhcpd timeouts)?
Also: you've mentioned "dhcpd". Is it literally "dhcpd" or "dhcpcd" (there also can be "dhclient" or other)?
And: can you manually set ip/netmask and routes to get your network up and running?

Just a couple ideas. After you'll answer somebody (or I wink) will be able to help further.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#3 2009-02-01 21:12:19

esters

I don't have any firewalls on my box, except that which is in the router ( Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 with DD-WRT 24SP1 ).My mistake, I used "dhcpcd". I have a feeling that this is because I use the same cable for both machines, I have dhcp enable and my primary Arch box and laptop ar visible in the router settings, but when I plug in the network cable into the new box, it doesn't work, nothing. I tried to manually assing netmask, dns, ip, it still didn't work. My idea is to get a spare cable and connect both new and old box through the router and do some magick tricks. Thanks for the help TheBodziO smile

#4 2009-02-02 15:21:03

esters

So, after further inspection, I realised that both  integrated and external NIC's were dead. I plugged in a RTL8139B based card and it works without problems.

#5 2009-02-02 18:48:00

TheBodziO
Website

esters wrote:

So, after further inspection, I realised that both  integrated and external NIC's were dead. I plugged in a RTL8139B based card and it works without problems.

Which is good (well… a sort of wink).

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

Board footer