You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-08 04:24:52

iso

[Solved] Can't boot up due to error in a conf file

After trying to install kpd it seems that the /etc/kpd.conf file contains an error.  After restarting the computer I see an error when it is booting up.  Then on the login screen when I type my username for every key pressed 3 chars are show ie username => foo output => fffoooooo.

Coming from a ubuntu I figured I would just restart in simple/safe mode, but there doesn't seem to be one, or at least I don't have one on the boot screen.

I am lost to how ti fix the config file.  Anyone have some advice?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by iso (2009-02-08 16:53:25)

#2 2009-02-08 04:32:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Can't boot up due to error in a conf file

iso wrote:

After trying to install kpd it seems that the /etc/kpd.conf file contains an error.  After restarting the computer I see an error when it is booting up.  Then on the login screen when I type my username for every key pressed 3 chars are show ie username => foo output => fffoooooo.

Coming from a ubuntu I figured I would just restart in simple/safe mode, but there doesn't seem to be one, or at least I don't have one on the boot screen.

I am lost to how ti fix the config file.  Anyone have some advice?

Thanks for the help.

If you still have the ubuntu live cd lying around, you could probably try that out.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-08 04:39:42

rayjgu3

what is kpd??
anyway if your using grub as boot loader, when you come to prompt press e for edit arrow down to kernel line press e again then add 3 at end of kernel line. this will drop you down to run level 3 , no gui.
then you can edit your config files to what you need then reboot.

#4 2009-02-08 04:57:30

iso

Oops I meant mpd.

I added 3 to the end of the kernel line as you said and rebooted.  It is shown on the reboot that it is in mode 3, but I am still taken to the SLim login screen.

Is there something else that has to be done to boot to the console?

After pressing c on the kernel line I add the 3:
  <37-a785-XXXXXXXXXXX ro 3
  - press enter to save changes
  - taken back to the previous list with the kernel item still highlighted
  - press b to boot with the new setting

Following the above steps was the only way I was able to see the mode 3 displayed during boot up.

Last edited by iso (2009-02-08 04:58:00)

#5 2009-02-08 05:04:21

iso

It seems setting it to mode 1 allows me to login as root.

#6 2009-02-08 05:19:04

iso

After checking out the most recent conf file I found no errors. To be sure I removed the mpd app  Unfortunately I am still getting the same issue on boot.  I have tried swapping usb ports as well as keyboards, but the issue persists.

=== Update
I have removed SLim and updated the xinitrc from from loading the daemon, as well as switched from gnome to the previously used openbox.  The keyboard issue still remains.

The problem also exists if I login as root and startx to the default window manager.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by iso (2009-02-08 06:06:56)

#7 2009-02-08 07:27:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

it seems highly unlikely that mpd would cause your keyboard to go haywire.

Are you by any chance using input hotplugging? If so, have you started hal ? try stopping and restarting it. Also, while you are at it, you might want to check dbus. If you have disabled hot plugging, you might wanna double check the entry for it in xorg.conf

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2009-02-08 16:07:48

iso

hal was recently added to the startup daemons. I have tried to remove it, but still had the same problem.

I don't see hotplugging anywhere in the xorg.conf file.  I have tried removing a number of things from the xorg file and restarted, but none of those tweaks has worked yet.

The kernel was recently updated.  Could that be the problem?

#9 2009-02-08 16:27:36

bgc1954

I think you need to take another look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging smile

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#10 2009-02-08 16:52:46

iso

That did it smile

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … iple_times

The "I don't want this crap, how do I turn it off?" section had the solution.

Does anyone have any ideas to what caused the change?

Thanks for the help guys.

Board footer