You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-09 04:23:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Fluxbox -- margins and setting wallpapers

1) I have a 1 line conky at the top of my screen. I would like to be able to view it all the time, just like in Openbox. How can I set a margin of 12 px in fluxbox?

2) Every time I select a wallpaper to change, the new wallpaper shows up for about a second and then reverts back to the old one. But If I select the same wallpaper again, it sets it. This used to work previously. Here's my relevant section from fluxbox menu

[submenu] (Wallpapers) {}
              [wallpapers] (/usr/share/fluxbox/backgrounds)
        [wallpapers] (~/Wallpapers)
[end]

3) When I right click to get the menu, and then not select anything from it, the menu stays on even if I click on other active windows. The only way it will go away is to click on the desktop for which I have to minimize a few windows. This is annoying since I want the active window to grab focus and not have a menu block my view. Is there anyway to get rid of the menu when you click other active windows?

4) What would be the keybinding entry to show the desktop - i.e. minimize all windows at once.? I know in openbox its as simple as assigning a shortcut to <command>ToggleShowDesktop</command>

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-09 04:46:30)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2009-02-09 04:46:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Fluxbox -- margins and setting wallpapers

Inxsible wrote:

4) What would be the keybinding entry to show the desktop - i.e. minimize all windows at once.? I know in openbox its as simple as assigning a shortcut to <command>ToggleShowDesktop</command>

---- Ok I got this one working by adding a

Mod4 d: ShowDesktop

in the fluxbox keys file

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-02-09 11:01:55

moljac024

Is conky running in it's own window ? You know, the own_window variable in the config, if that is set to false that could be the problem with your wallpaper, how often do you have conky update itself ?

Don't know about the menu, but I remember it as being a buggy part of fluxbox back when I used it, I think I even had that same issue...

Anyway, seems like you would be happy if you just switched to openbox wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2009-02-09 17:12:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

moljac024 wrote:

Is conky running in it's own window ? You know, the own_window variable in the config, if that is set to false that could be the problem with your wallpaper, how often do you have conky update itself ?

Don't know about the menu, but I remember it as being a buggy part of fluxbox back when I used it, I think I even had that same issue...

Anyway, seems like you would be happy if you just switched to openbox wink

Conky has its own window.Conky updates every second. yeah the menu thing is annoying.

and I do use openbox on tty1 ...fluxbox on tty2 big_smile....just that I like fluxbox too at times (when I am bored with OB)...even planning to install another wm like wmii or dwm (probably on tty3) -- because I have never tried a tiling wm before.

Forum Rules

Board footer