You are not logged in.

#26 2009-02-10 20:09:32

methuselah

Re: Can't shutdown after recent upgrade

westend wrote:
methuselah wrote:

Thank you to everyone re-posting the same Policykit fix for the mounting issue..... westend was the first to point it out with post#6 comment:

westend wrote:

To fix the problem with mounting, please go to HAL page in Wiki and read Troubleshooting. Edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf as described.

But there is a SECOND bug that hasn't been fixed yet. It is about the "shutdown" and "reboot" not completing. It just goes back to the login screen. (for xfce4 and slim)

It's being reported by "thatnewyorker" (post#1), westend (post#3), fantomas (post#4), and me (methuselah post#12). It also is in the the BUGS section as comment #6: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/13162#comment39047

Comment by ugaciaka (ugaciaka) - Monday, 09 February 2009, 03:51 GMT-5
another problem, when I will shutdown pc (i'm using xfce): relogin! I'm using slim...
"failed to execute login command" and relogin

Any ideas from anybody?

I confirm that solution suggested by ROOKIE fixes bug with reboot on XFCE 4.4.3 with Slim (daemon). I did not test shutdown yet. smile Actually, I combaine expressions from Wiki with two last expressions from ROOKIE.

I'm sorry..... I did not realize that ROOKIE's Policykit fix was different than the HAL wiki page Policykit fix..... I'm going to try it right now and see if it works for me...... sorry for mot reading more thoroughly.

Last edited by methuselah (2009-02-10 20:10:05)

#27 2009-02-10 20:20:03

methuselah

westend wrote:

I confirm that solution suggested by ROOKIE fixes bug with reboot on XFCE 4.4.3 with Slim (daemon). I did not test shutdown yet. smile Actually, I combine expressions from Wiki with two last expressions from ROOKIE.

I just tried it and it does work!

I sort of combined the HAL ArchWiki Policykit fix and the last 2 lines for reboot and shutdown from ROOKIE's fix like you did westend..... so my complete file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
 <match user="seventy3"> <!-- replace with your login or delete the line if you want to allow all users to manipulate devices (keep security issues in mind though) -->
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.*">
                       <return result="yes"/>
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-fixed-extra-options"> <!-- for internal devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
               <match action="hal-storage-mount-removable-extra-options"> <!-- for external devices mounted with extra options like a wished mount point -->
                       <return result="yes" />
               </match>
       </match>  <!-- don't forget to delete this line if you deleted the first one -->
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
                       <return result="yes"/>
               </match>
               <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
                       <return result="yes"/>
       </match>
</config>

It works with the xfce4 quit/shutdown/reboot button now.... thank you westend and ROOKIE, and everyone else.

#28 2009-02-10 21:18:19

MattSmith

methuselah wrote:
MattSmith wrote:

an easy way around this, is not to use a login manager if you're using one. I have herd many people with kde having similar problems, however since I don't use the login manager, kde doesn't monitor shutdown or restart of my computer.

use

sudo shutdown -h now

easy. smile

I have been using the "sudo poweroff" command, and the "sudo reboot -n" command..... It's what I have been doing since last night. I'll use "sudo shutdown -h now" if it's better for my laptop than the "sudo poweroff" command.

.....But I just want to fix my slim and gui shutdown method because it's the "easiest way" to just press the quit button and the shutdown button.

EDIT: also thank you. I know you were just trying to help and point out the easiest and best command to use to shutdown..... I just like to have all of my apps working in the way they are meant to work..... so that is why I was hoping to fix the xfce/slim logout problem.

I understand np smile

As for

sudo shutdown -h now being better the sudo poweroff, I am not sure. I do know the shutdown command is cool in a way that you can tell your computer to shutdown in x amount of time (very handly for severs), and pass other options... -h being halt. But if the poweroff command does this, then to each his own wink

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#29 2009-02-10 21:22:14

methuselah

MattSmith wrote:

As for

sudo shutdown -h now being better the sudo poweroff, I am not sure. I do know the shutdown command is cool in a way that you can tell your computer to shutdown in x amount of time (very handly for severs), and pass other options... -h being halt. But if the poweroff command does this, then to each his own wink

Thank you for the info.

#30 2009-02-13 14:45:52

kclive18

R00KIE wrote:

It seems there are 2 ways to do the same, one is to write it directly in /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf and the other is to use polkit-action that stores changes I don't know where .... I prefer the first option although xml?? Wouldn't a simple well thought plaintext file suffice?
Anyway here's the "complete" shutdown/reboot/automount usb fix I'm using now

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- XML -*- -->

<!DOCTYPE pkconfig PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Configuration 1.0//EN"
"http://hal.freedesktop.org/releases/PolicyKit/1.0/config.dtd">

<!-- See the manual page PolicyKit.conf(5) for file format -->

<config version="0.1">
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.shutdown">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
    <match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.reboot">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>
</config>

Thank you very much, ROOKIE, this worked for me.

My Rigs:
- Mid-2007 iMac 20", Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 250GB SATA HDD, and...MIGHTY MOUSE!!! tongue, OSX 10.5 Leopard, ATI Radeon 2400XT 128MB
- HP zv6203cl, AMD Athlon 64 3200 S939, 2x512MB DDR400, 80GB 4200rpm HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB, Arch i686 cool
- 1986 Gibson SG Junior Cherry Red, Ibanez 15W amp, DigiTech RP250 modeling processor

#31 2009-02-13 17:59:04

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Mind you that this seems to be a very dirty fix, very insecure as anyone will be able to shutdown/reboot/mount removable but at least for a single user notebook will do the trick perfectly big_smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#32 2009-02-13 19:29:08

westend

R00KIE wrote:

Mind you that this seems to be a very dirty fix, very insecure as anyone will be able to shutdown/reboot/mount removable but at least for a single user notebook will do the trick perfectly big_smile

If you put the expressions inside of the code:

<match user="$USER"> 
</match>

it will be allowed only for the USER.

Archlinux? I really like it!

#33 2009-02-13 22:36:15

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Yes I know, and that is a big pain in the butt, now I have to add the users not only to other groups as audio and video but also inside the config file for policykit, finner control is fine by me but too fine starts to be too complicated.
I can only imagine what will happen when other gui driven distros update to the most recent hal and users start to run into problems tongue
Oh and if you want reboot and shutdown you can use just one match ... keeping it short big_smile

<match action="org.freedesktop.hal.power-management.*">
        <return result="yes"/>
    </match>

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer