You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-15 01:36:01

thorjelly

[SOLVED] kdemod with ugly cyan boarders / can't start kdm at boot?

I followed the directions to install kdemod from a clean installation of Arch Linux. Specifically I:

Installed from CD
Setup DHCP and configured my ethernet
Updated Arch Linux ( pacman -Syu )
Installed xorg
installed hdw and configured xorg
setup repositories to include kdemod repos
installed kdemod, as well as some recommended additions

if I follow any of the directions here ( http://chakra-project.org/download-kdemod-step6.html ) to start kdemod at boot then it gives me a login prompt but immediately crashes and restarts kdm whenever I login. I can only get into kdemod by typing, in the console: startx
and then: startkde

...and then all of my windows are surrounded by ugly monotone cyan window decorations which look like they came out of Windows 3.1 that I can't seem to get rid of, as well as a few other oddities involving the color cyan.

I am, incidentally, running it in VirtualBox with the vesa video driver in xorg.conf.

Does anyone know what's going on? Am I missing something? Is this normal?

I've found one mention of this problem on the forums before [ http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=494261 ] but no solution. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by thorjelly (2009-02-15 03:48:05)

#2 2009-02-15 03:34:26

thorjelly

Re: [SOLVED] kdemod with ugly cyan boarders / can't start kdm at boot?

Alright, I figured out where those ugly cyan borders come from. It's because I didn't make an .xinitrc file in my user's directory and specify what window manager to use, so it defaulted to xterm, and I was running kde through xterm and the borders were xterm's window borders (Right, well, I figured they were a biproduct of running kde in such an unusual way)... but I still don't know why I can't start kdm at boot. Anyone know how I can figure that out...?

Last edited by thorjelly (2009-02-15 03:35:44)

#3 2009-02-15 03:47:32

thorjelly

Re: [SOLVED] kdemod with ugly cyan boarders / can't start kdm at boot?

Alright... nothing reading the wiki can't solve. I just had to start the hal daemon. ( /etc/rc.d/hal start ) before starting kdm. Sorry guys. Hope I haven't wasted anyone's time. I guess I'll keep the thread up for any other confused newbies out there, heh.

Board footer