You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-04 17:40:22

DHCPCD problems...

I'm using my XP machine as a router and I can't get internet working.

eth0 is up, but it seems to be something wrong with dhcdcp. When I check the error log I find : Timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response.

resolv.conf :

search mshome.net local
nameserver 192.168.0.1

It feels like I've hit my head against a stone wall here  :?

/Fredrik

#2 2003-08-05 11:47:57

Re: DHCPCD problems...

Do I have to do something in other .conf files too?

#3 2003-08-05 12:27:56

Gyroplast
Website

Your supplied information is rather meager, therefore I am only able to give a few seemingly obvious hints and background information.

DHCP works by sending a broadcast to all physically available machines on the network, and waiting for a response from a DHCP server which does the actual accounting. Now, as you're saying you get timeouts, I strongly suspect an incorrect physical network and/or DHCP server setup. Ask yourself these questions:

a) Do I have a DHCP server configured and running?
b) Are the DHCP server and it's clients all in the same network? That means physically, of course.
c) Do you have any !#$^!@ Personal Firewall running that disturbs your network 'cause you have no clue what you're actually doing?
d) Is your networking hardware _surely_ intact? Test adequately.

Post more details if you want help. Especially your topology is needed.

Good luck.
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#4 2003-08-05 13:42:20

My XP-box is running ics.  I have no firewalls running at the moment. I checked out the DHCP HOW-TO on this site.

There is no hardware troubles, because I can get DHCP to work with other distributions.

So there seems to be a problem with the configuration somewhere hmm

#5 2003-08-05 15:39:10

Jagged

even if you have dhcp running on a lan, you are not forced to use it.  have you tried manually setting your lan ip, subnet mask, broadcast ip, and gateway ip?

Nkawtg...n!

#6 2003-08-05 16:44:31

Jagged wrote:

even if you have dhcp running on a lan, you are not forced to use it.  have you tried manually setting your lan ip, subnet mask, broadcast ip, and gateway ip?

Thank you very much! I configured it manually and now it works smile

Board footer