You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-15 23:59:50

JawsThemeSwimming428

OBmenu doesn't save configuration changes

I am trying openbox for the first time. I have it installed and running. I am in OBMenu trying to add Mousepad under the editors section. I renamed Kate to Mousepad so it shows the correct name in my menu, the action is set to Execute, and I put /usr/bin/mousepad in the Execute section. When I click Save and close OBMenu, I try to launch mousepad from the menu and nothing happens. However, if I open xterm and type /usr/bin/mousepad it opens Mousepad. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help.

#2 2009-02-16 00:08:06

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: OBmenu doesn't save configuration changes

Have you tried manually editing ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml?

*edit* to check if it's been updated with your changes

I just wanted to clarify that this wasn't a "GUIs are for f#%^%, do it manually" reply.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-02-16 00:09:58)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-02-16 00:17:34

cdwillis

You said you renamed Kate to Mousepad. Did you capitalize Mousepad?

#4 2009-02-16 00:33:41

JawsThemeSwimming428

Xyne wrote:

Have you tried manually editing ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml?

*edit* to check if it's been updated with your changes

I just wanted to clarify that this wasn't a "GUIs are for f#%^%, do it manually" reply.

Just  checked the menu.xml and it changed the item label to Mousepad but didn't change the command. The <command> section still says kwrite. I thought I did kate but I must have done kwrite. When I edit the menu in OBMenu I am supposed to put the command in the Execute section right? That is what I did but it didn't change it. Why would it change the label but not the command?

#5 2009-02-16 10:58:24

Lilim

Delete the old entry for Mousepad/Kwrite, create new one with Label 'Mousepad', action 'Execute' and execute command 'mousepad'. Works for me.

As for OBmenu changing only label in menu.xml - it seems that it's not perfect (and what is? wink). When I tried to create an entry for 'xcalc', after saving the changes and using it in the menu I got gcalctool executed instead. Editing the menu.xml manually did the trick.

#6 2009-02-16 11:59:55

Paper Lawyer

On a related note, is it possible to execute two commands when you click one choice in the menu?  I am playing with Conky within LXDE and I wanted to create a "Restart Conky" option within the obmenu (which is one of the choices in the menu within Crunchbang Linux).   I've inserted the Execute command and inserted two commands (on two different lines) of:

<command>killall conky</command>
<command>conky</command>

It kills conky but does not restart it.  If I use the commands within lxterminal then it works fine.   Clearly I'm getting the xml syntax wrong!  Can anyone help?

LXDE installed on an Intel E5200 (oc to 3.25ghz), Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 motherboard (GEForce 7100 graphics), 2GB 800mhz RAM & a 320GB WD SATA HD.

#7 2009-02-16 12:48:01

Lilim

EDIT: Nope, my solution does not work roll

Last edited by Lilim (2009-02-16 12:56:27)

#8 2009-02-16 13:29:19

biagio

I put this in the <menu id="system-menu" label="System"> of ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml and I think that this is faster than using obmenu:

<item label="Openbox Menu">
  <action name="Execute">
    <command>mousepad ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml</command>
  </action>
</item>

#9 2009-02-16 15:33:26

Dethredic
Website

Hey guys, I am having this problem as well. I opened obmenu and changed some stuff (a variety of things) and hit save but the changes didn't work. I did this numerous times, and I also manually edited "~/.config/openbox/menu.xml" with the changes. I saved the file, but no changes are taking place in my menu. I reopened "~/.config/openbox/menu.xml" and the changes are still there. I then opened obmenu and the manual changes are not there.

#10 2009-02-16 15:39:39

bgc1954

Don't want to seem obvious but did you do a Reconfigure Openbox.  The changes won't take effect until after you restart openbox.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#11 2009-02-16 15:52:55

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

bgc1954 wrote:

Don't want to seem obvious but did you do a Reconfigure Openbox.  The changes won't take effect until after you restart openbox.

+ 1 I read through the thread and I was wondering why no one had suggested that the OP Reconfigure openbox.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#12 2009-02-16 15:56:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Paper Lawyer wrote:

On a related note, is it possible to execute two commands when you click one choice in the menu?  I am playing with Conky within LXDE and I wanted to create a "Restart Conky" option within the obmenu (which is one of the choices in the menu within Crunchbang Linux).   I've inserted the Execute command and inserted two commands (on two different lines) of:

<command>conky</command>

It kills conky but does not restart it.  If I use the commands within lxterminal then it works fine.   Clearly I'm getting the xml syntax wrong!  Can anyone help?

biagio wrote:

I put this in the <menu id="system-menu" label="System"> of ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml and I think that this is faster than using obmenu:

<item label="Openbox Menu">
  <action name="Execute">
    <command>mousepad ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml</command>
  </action>
</item>

Have you guys heard of keybindings? Its the greatest of things. One key for killing conky (W-S-c) and another(W-c) for starting it up. You can also set up keybindings like W-o  to edit menus W-r to edit the rc.xml etc etc.

Another option is that you can create an alias in your .bashrc like

alias rsCon='killall conky && conky'
alias obm='mousepad ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-16 16:38:43)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#13 2009-02-16 16:34:38

Paper Lawyer

Inxsible, that's a helpful suggestion and it is something I'm going to explore (I only installed Arch on Friday big_smile ) as Crunchbang uses them extensively (and lists them in Conky for ease of reference). 

Looking at your alias suggestion, can I use the following for my menu?

<command>killall conky && conky</command>

I'm unfamiliar with the usage of "&&" smile

LXDE installed on an Intel E5200 (oc to 3.25ghz), Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2 motherboard (GEForce 7100 graphics), 2GB 800mhz RAM & a 320GB WD SATA HD.

#14 2009-02-16 16:37:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Paper Lawyer wrote:

Inxsible, that's a helpful suggestion and it is something I'm going to explore (I only installed Arch on Friday big_smile ) as Crunchbang uses them extensively (and lists them in Conky for ease of reference). 

Looking at your alias suggestion, can I use the following for my menu?

<command>killall conky && conky</command>

I'm unfamiliar with the usage of "&&" smile

I am not sure the <command></command> can parse the double ampersand, but you could try it out. I normally like to use the keyboard to get things done, rather than right click the menu and then select the option. -- especially for things that I do often.

&& basically is chaining the 2 commands -- ie it finishes the first one and then issues the next one...I think you can use multiple && and form a chain.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-16 16:38:11)

Forum Rules

#15 2009-02-16 16:49:52

soupcan

Sometimes Obmenu doesn't seem to save the changes to your menu.xml, especially if the command was manually written to the file.

#16 2009-02-16 16:53:04

biagio

Inxsible wrote:

Have you guys heard of keybindings? Its the greatest of things. One key for killing conky (W-S-c) and another(W-c) for starting it up. You can also set up keybindings like W-o  to edit menus W-r to edit the rc.xml etc etc.

Even better you can create and alias in your .bashrc like

I use a lot the keybindings in rc.xml, for example

<keyboard>
  <keybind key="W-x">
    <action name="Execute">
      <command>gmrun</command>
    </action>
  </keybind>

<keybind key="W-z">
    <action name="Execute">
      <command>xterm -e nano ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml</command>
    </action>
  </keybind>
</keyboard>

and alias in .bashrc, for example

alias e='eject'
Inxsible wrote:

I am not sure the <command></command> can parse the double ampersand, but you could try it out

can not, but you can write a script and call it from the menu or a keybinding

Last edited by biagio (2009-02-16 16:53:25)

#17 2009-02-16 17:15:24

SkonesMickLoud
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Paper Lawyer wrote:

<command>conky</command>

One command will do what you want:

killall -SIGUSR1 conky

#18 2009-02-16 23:18:09

Paper Lawyer

SkonesMickLoud wrote:
Paper Lawyer wrote:

<command>conky</command>

One command will do what you want:

killall -SIGUSR1 conky

That comand worked a treat.  Thank you!

Board footer