You are not logged in.

#101 2009-02-12 22:50:02

IdoMcFly

Re: Arch on Samsung NC10 ?

Is there anybody manage to install archlinux on NC10 via wifi (without using an ethernet cable) with the FTP install?

I've tried to modprobe ath5k but I got no interface when checking with iwconfig.

#102 2009-02-13 00:10:49

nightwatch

I found the problem with suspend, for what it's worth. The issue is the low-memory-protect DMI quirk. The kernel bug I filed is here: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12645

Hopefully this can be fixed soon.

#103 2009-02-13 07:43:47

fwojciec

IdoMcFly wrote:

Is there anybody manage to install archlinux on NC10 via wifi (without using an ethernet cable) with the FTP install?

I've tried to modprobe ath5k but I got no interface when checking with iwconfig.

You have to use a relatively recent kernel -- I'm not sure if it's going to work with the latest *official* iso, but it did work for me with tpowa's archboot iso from 12/2008 (it uses 2.6.27 kernel, I think) -- see this thread for download links.

#104 2009-02-14 12:15:02

IdoMcFly

fwojciec wrote:
IdoMcFly wrote:

You have to use a relatively recent kernel -- I'm not sure if it's going to work with the latest *official* iso, but it did work for me with tpowa's archboot iso from 12/2008 (it uses 2.6.27 kernel, I think) -- see this thread for download links.

thank you for the link but I only a 256Mo usb stick, I've manage to plug an ethernet cable to install via FTP smile

This thread is 6 pages long, is there any place with a resume of all these ? the wiki seems to be poor.

#105 2009-02-14 13:12:47

fwojciec

IdoMcFly wrote:

This thread is 6 pages long, is there any place with a resume of all these ? the wiki seems to be poor.

I'm not sure which thread you mean, but if you mean this thread and the Samsung NC10 wiki, then all I can tell you is that with the current kernel all hardware should be supported out of the box -- the only outstanding "issue" is that the wifi led does not turn off when the wifi interface is disabled.  Even this last issue should be fixed by kernel people soon (there is a patch available already and a discussion about it on the ath5k-dev mailing list).

So basically -- there is nothing really unique about this netbook, feel free to use the generic resources to configure everything.  If you feel the wiki is lacking you can always do something to improve it -- anyone can edit it.

#106 2009-02-14 14:39:43

IdoMcFly

I was thinking about the optimization discussions (hard drive or maybe others?)

I'll dig through this thread later and paste what I found relevant in the wiki so smile

thank you!

#107 2009-02-15 14:16:08

alex@hostname

Has anyone else found that the fan actually spins down sometimes after the latest kernel update, whereas it never did so before?

#108 2009-02-18 13:41:03

Barghest

About the fan I don't know but I'll have an ear on it ;b

I have an issues concerning the brightness of the screen:
I was in library and it was pretty light in there so that the display was hard to recognize. xbacklight -get gave me 100 %. For testing I booted into Windows and the display was way brighter and easy to see (even on a level just over the middle). Is there a way to get this brightness under arch, too?

#109 2009-02-18 14:09:53

Mogger
Website

Barghest: Have you set the brightness to user controlled in the BIOS?

[SOLVED]
I just reinstalled Arch yesterday and now I have problem with the wireless. For networking I use wicd, and it says "No wireless networks found". I'm almost sure that it isn't a problem with rc.conf since I get the same error when I use my old rc.conf (from the previous installation when wireless worked). What else could it be?

EDIT: Ignore me, I'm stupid. If there's anyone who's as stupid as me, here's a hint: install wireless_tools.

-.-

Last edited by Mogger (2009-02-18 15:02:00)

#110 2009-02-18 14:33:09

fwojciec

alex@hostname wrote:

Has anyone else found that the fan actually spins down sometimes after the latest kernel update, whereas it never did so before?

I think there is a setting in the BIOS that switches between LOW and AUTO: Low means fan is always on, auto means it comes on only from time to time.  I've always had it set for auto so it always spun down for me.

#111 2009-02-18 15:08:58

Barghest

Mogger wrote:

Barghest: Have you set the brightness to user controlled in the BIOS?

Setting the brightness controll to "user" solved the problem. At 10% the screen now is as bright as it has been with 50% before and 100% now burns my eyes ^^.

Thanks for the hint. You see, you aren't that stupid smile

#112 2009-02-18 16:13:30

frtoto

Hello,

I get some trouble with xorg configuration,

it will be so kind to add a subtitle on the wiki NC10 page with all your configurations
files.

I begin with archlinux, I mainly come from debian, gentoo and ubuntu...
I think archlinux is one of the best distrib i have used.

the best should be a shell script for a complete installation of a
complete example of these files:

rc.conf ( for deamon order, acpid, etc...)
rc.local
xbindkeys
xinitrc
xsessions
slim/xdm/gdm/kdm
hal......
xorg.conf !!! --> with complete support of every features (synaptics)
(acceleratiion, scrollig, 3rd button, ...) WORKING
laptop-mode
fstab (for atime, etc, consumption optimization)
usb, disk, wifi power optim (rc.local ?)

But first, the most important i think, is to provide these files for anyone.
Script doing this is less important.

If nobody want to edit the wiki, i will do it, i would like to get these files anyway in a tar.gz file, send me a private message for my personnal email.

thanks

#113 2009-02-18 16:47:04

Barghest

@Brightness: It seems that it didn't solve the problem as expected. But what I can do currently is to use fn+brightness up at startup (while in grub) to set the maximum brightness. If I forget this, I can't set it over a specific level sad

@suspend2ram: Since one of the latest updates suspend2ram isn't working anymore. The nc10 hangs on resume. Anyone else noticed (and probably solved) this? I already installed the latest bios update.

@frtoto: As fwojciec wrote

So basically -- there is nothing really unique about this netbook, feel free to use the generic resources to configure everything

The content of many of the files you asked for is dependent on what you want to use (e.g. the DE or WM) and your personal preferences .  I recommend to start with the Beginners Guide and go through the other articles related to your needs.

#114 2009-02-18 18:53:04

alex@hostname

fwojciec wrote:
alex@hostname wrote:

I think there is a setting in the BIOS that switches between LOW and AUTO: Low means fan is always on, auto means it comes on only from time to time.  I've always had it set for auto so it always spun down for me.

Probably should have updated my BIOS before wiping XP. Oh well, it's not too loud anyway.

#115 2009-02-18 20:36:44

frtoto

@ barghest:

yes and no....

I already look for any helps in forum history and wiki, and so on...
but It will be easier for the new guy buying this computer to get a correct configuration...

I'm working on the xorg.conf by reading toons of web pages, man, etc... it's not completly a waste of time, but it takes really to much time for beginners...

an extra complete xorg.conf for everythings working great will be cool for people haven't time to waste...

Thus, complete configurations files, with comments to help people to change to their preferences, could be a great idea...

Last edited by frtoto (2009-02-18 20:38:01)

#116 2009-02-18 21:57:18

furret

Barghest wrote:

@Brightness: It seems that it didn't solve the problem as expected. But what I can do currently is to use fn+brightness up at startup (while in grub) to set the maximum brightness. If I forget this, I can't set it over a specific level sad

You can eliminate the need to play with the brightness in GRUB by changing the backlight setting to "User Define" from "Auto" in the BIOS. Then the BIOS will remember what the backlight was last set to in GRUB.

Barghest wrote:

@suspend2ram: Since one of the latest updates suspend2ram isn't working anymore. The nc10 hangs on resume. Anyone else noticed (and probably solved) this? I already installed the latest bios update.

Yup, see above with the low memory protect DMI quirk. You need a custom kernel to use suspend on the newer revisions of the NC10. Set the kernel config option something along the lines of "reserve low memory on AMI/Phoenix BIOSen" to NO.

I've reported it to the kernel maintainers. Hopefully Ingo will fix it soon, so the custom kernel won't be needed.

Also, the newest gnome-power-manager is constantly crashing for me. I think it may be related to pulling out the power cord. I'll try to triage it, but it's a pain. Seems newer models of the Samsung NC10 are a lot less Linux-friendly than older ones sad

#117 2009-02-20 20:58:56

Mogger
Website

Has anyone fixed two-finger scrolling? I'm playing with Synaptics at the moment but the multitouch features don't seem to work.

My /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.LeftEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RightEdge" type="string">5300</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TopEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomEdge" type="string">4200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.FingerLow" type="string">25</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.FingerHigh" type="string">30</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapTime" type="string">180</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTopMove" type="string">220</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertScrollDelta" type="string">100</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinSpeed" type="string">0.20</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxSpeed" type="string">0.50</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelFactor" type="string">0.0050</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.CircularScrolling" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.CircScrollTrigger" type="string">8</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">2</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">3</merge>

<!-- Arbitrary options can be passed to the driver using
             the input.x11_options property since xorg-server-1.5. -->
        <!-- EXAMPLES:
        Switch on shared memory, enables the driver to be configured at runtime
    <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>

Maximum movement of the finger for detecting a tap
    <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapMove" type="string">2000</merge>

Enable vertical scrolling when dragging along the right edge
    <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">true</merge>

Enable vertical scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad
    <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>

Enable horizontal scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad
    <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>

If on, circular scrolling is used
    <merge key="input.x11_options.CircularScrolling" type="string">true</merge>

For other possible options, check CONFIGURATION DETAILS in synaptics man page
        -->
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

#118 2009-02-21 00:13:28

alex@hostname

Mogger wrote:

Has anyone fixed two-finger scrolling? I'm playing with Synaptics at the moment but the multitouch features don't seem to work.

I can't even get it to register more than one finger using synclient, so no luck here.

#119 2009-02-21 23:30:31

CruX05

Hey Guys,

I bought a Samsung NC10 on Friday and hopefully I'll recieve it on Monday or Tuesday (I have to admit that i can't wait).
The 'harddisk-ticking-problem' (sometimes even called 'tick of death') made me more or less afraid and i searched the web for a good solution (yep, I also read the whole thread).
I finally found something in the notebookreview.com Forum [Link] of which I thought I should share it with you guys (this specific post)

I'd really like to hear your comments about it, because I am not sure if this is just another panic-problem or a more or less serious threat to my harddisk.

Thanks for the nice posts in this thread, I'd love to contribute if I find something useful, seems to be a great community here!

greets CruX

#120 2009-02-23 00:25:54

summel
Website

I updated the wiki entry for the brightness keys...

also when using kdm theres a fix for the bars at the left/right side... you have to edit /usr/share/apps/kdm/themes/oxygen/oxygen.xml :

on line 26 change width="scale" to width="100%"

#121 2009-02-27 09:06:16

IdoMcFly

I've just install flashplugin and I'm quite disapointed by the flash performance, does anybody suffers the same? Did I forgot to configure my graphic card?

#122 2009-02-27 11:53:24

CruX05

I think this depends on one's expectations, my flash works well(well, at least what i expected)

You should give us an example, then we are able to compare our experiences

greets CruX

Edit:
Can anyone tell me if it is critical if the Start_Stop_Count Value (smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep Start_Stop_Count) value is increasing kinda fast(28 hours running time, 122 Start/Stop counts)?
I think the Values

LM_AC_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=7200
LM_BATT_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=60
NOLM_HD_IDLE_TIMEOUT_SECONDS=7200

are inflicting those Start/Stops....

Last edited by CruX05 (2009-02-27 14:26:09)

#123 2009-02-27 23:14:05

IdoMcFly

#124 2009-02-28 11:25:52

CruX05

I'd say thats a typical Youtube Video which work for me without Problems(at least in performance mode).

greets CruX

#125 2009-03-01 22:19:02

IdoMcFly

I put in conservative mode and it is better, thanks !

Board footer