You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-19 18:28:27

Lilim

[SOLVED] Looking for URW Gothic L font in .ttf format (...)

Hi,

I'm able to use URW Gothic L font while writing in OpenOffice.org, as default font for Conky and PyPanel (all with working Polish letters like - Ł, ł, Ó, ó, Ś, ś, Ż, ż, Ź, ź, Ę, ę, Ć, ć). Recently I wanted to test bmpanel with Arch theme. So I edited the theme config file and changed

clock_font             DejaVuSans-14

to

clock_font             URWGothicL-14

You can imagine how suprised I was, when executing bmpanel had no effect, but when I tried to lunch it from the terminal everything was (nearly) clear. Here's the output:

> bmpanel arch
starting bmpanel with theme: arch
only ttf files are supported
failed to load font: URWGothicL-14
fatal loading error
failed to load theme: arch

So it seems that URW Gothic L is not in .ttf format. I've looked through all known to me folders containing fonts, but with no luck. Where the hell is it stored? neutral

These are font packages installed in my system (hope these are all of them, but maybe you know a better way of displaying a list of all font packages installed):

extra/gsfonts 8.11-4 [installed]  
extra/ttf-dejavu 2.28-1 [installed] 
extra/ttf-ms-fonts 2.0-2 [installed]  
extra/xorg-fonts-100dpi 1.0.1-1 [installed] (xorg)
extra/xorg-fonts-75dpi 1.0.1-2 [installed] (xorg)
extra/xorg-fonts-alias 1.0.1-1 [installed] 
extra/xorg-fonts-encodings 1.0.2-2 [installed] 
extra/xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.0-3

Is there a way of getting URW Gothic L in proper .ttf format to use with bmpanel?

PS. If you need any other data, please say so, I'll provide it as fast as I can. I'm not an expert in those matters (yet tongue).

EDIT:
I've searched some more and it appears that Polish version of URW Gothic L is a Type1 font included in gsfonts package. Still searching for TTF equivalent or a maybe a way to make a Type1 font work with bmpanel.

Last edited by Lilim (2009-02-19 20:58:55)

#2 2009-02-19 19:50:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Looking for URW Gothic L font in .ttf format (...)

URWGothic is in /usr/share/ghostscript/8.64/Resource/Font/ and is named in subsets. You could try something like URWGothicL-Book-14.

--EDIT--

I just saw your edit smile

Convert them. Just search for Linux convert type1 to ttf. There's a bunch of tools to do it. For instance, fontforge can do it.

#3 2009-02-19 20:57:42

Lilim

Made it big_smile Thank you Skottish. That's why I like Arch community - if someone answers your question you may me sure it will be a helpful answer (well... in most cases).

For those who might have the same problem in the future - I choose a simple solution - Fontforge. It did the trick just fine.

EDIT:
Ops, reached the subject's length limit tongue I'll need to cut it in order to add [SOLVED] there. Done.

Last edited by Lilim (2009-02-19 21:01:02)

#4 2009-02-19 21:02:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

I'm glad it worked. Fontforge is really amazing. It's as awesome as it is ugly, and that's saying a lot!

Board footer