You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-21 06:03:42

silvernode

Compaq 5005SR Graphics problems

So I decided to dig up my old compaq 505SR and install arch on it. Well the install went just fine. I booted up and Updated using pacman -Syu. I installed xorg, xfce4, and hwd. After that I did a quick hwd -xa. I proceeded to type startxfce4 only to see my screen go crazy. I killed the Xserver and removed xorg.conf. I then tried hwd -x but this also failed. I found out that this PC has an intel graphics card. I installed the package xf86-video-intel. I then removed and produced a new xorg.conf file. I changed the file as follows:

Section "Device"
             Identifier          "intel"
             Driver             "intel"
             VendorName   "ALL"
             BoardName     "ALL"
EndSection

This at least got the "X" mouse pointer icon to appear but my graphics were still all screwed up. Then the system froze.  I rebooted and typed hwd -e and noticed the card model was "GMCH" and did not see it in intels list of linux drivers anymore. I then came here to see if you guys had any suggestions on where to find the correct drivers or how to get this to work. By the way I have also tried the "VESA" driver but why would that work right?

Anyway thanks for reading and also caring about my little project here. It's always a pain to get old hardware to work with certain software. I would like to get a GUI on this thing even though I plan to use it as a server. I could easily do everything I need from command line but you know how GUI's go. I just simply want it to exist on this machine.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by silvernode (2009-02-21 06:05:29)

Board footer