You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 21:10:45

Intruder89

Problem with GNOME and CDROM

Well guys first of all I want to say that this forum is really a great thing - I have founded a lot solutions for my problems (that are as I said thanks to you solved now smile ).

Now let`s get to my problem which I didn`t managed to solve alone. I can mount CDROM as user from terminal and it works great. Problem is I can`t mount it directly from Gnome "Computer" (e.g. Places drop menu). When I mount it from terminal as user ofc, I can open it from "Computer" but it won`t mount it auto when I click CDROM in "Computer".

And when I try to mount/unmount it from "computer" it simple won`t work. No error reporting - just nothing. It was same problem with NTFS partitions but I solved that with fstab users and adding my user to users group.

In /etc/fstab line for cdrom looks like:
/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    users,ro,noauto,unhide   0      0

and it works. I can simply as user type "mount /dev/cdrom" and it will mount it, show me icon on gnome desktop etc...

So my problem is that GNOME won`t directly mount it from "Places" dropdown menu.

I hope you got it? (And my english isn`t very good - I`m sorry for that).

Last edited by Intruder89 (2009-02-20 21:11:10)

#2 2009-02-20 23:43:44

TBomB

Re: Problem with GNOME and CDROM

If you have hal installed,

edit your fstab so the line looks like this:

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    users,ro,noauto,unhide   0      0

that will tell hal to automount your cdrom when you load it in.

#3 2009-02-20 23:50:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Normally you do not have to put in your CD/DVD or USB drive info in the fstab. If you are using HAL and hotplugging, have you gone thru the HAL wiki and created/edited the PolicyKit file. Maybe that will solve your issue.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-02-20 23:51:03)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-02-21 08:48:55

Intruder89

I commented in fstab cdrom line (and my other NTFS partitions) and looked HAL wiki, changed/created policy for HAL and now I have other problem. HAL is mounting CDrom (becouse I see it change name from CD ROM... to name of the disk in "Places") but still on my double click it won`t open - like it`s not mounted.

I typed mount to see where it`s mounted and it`s not on the list (I suppose becouse it`s not in fstab). I think it`s the problem with my NTFS partitions too (becouse I commented them as well in fstab). I created policys for them, and I see that he changed name of NTFS partitions to $device_name (i called them system,storage,backup) and it`s ok. So I guess problem is it won`t give me access to them. It`s not mounted in /media/$device_name because there`s no folder with that name (when I say that name I don`t thing $device_name but names I gived them in policy).

I added my user to storage and optical group - and I added in hal.conf policy like in HAL wiki.

Board footer