You are not logged in.

#1 2004-10-26 01:09:42

gaah

arch/xp - one computer

I have windows xp installed on a computer, now I also want to install arch on it. How to do that? I already messed everything up once and had to start all over. I don't want that to happen again!

I have xp installed on c:, and I use partition magic to create some partitions for arch. First I create 32 meg boot, 256 meg swap and 10 gig root partitions as it said in the install guide. Then I go into arch installation and chose not to prepare hdd automaticly. How do I set up my mountpoints there? It asked for swap and root I think, not the boot? Why not? How do I tell it which one is boot too? And how can I figure out if my root or swap partition is .../disc0/part6 or 7 or whatever?

First time I just chansed and it installed on some of it! I know at least my xp installation didn't wanisked (there). Then I chose grub to be the startup manager. How to configure it to start XP as first choise, then arch as second?

I really need to get this working...

#2 2004-10-26 01:27:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: arch/xp - one computer

the install guide is quite thorough..
for setting up partitions that you have previously created..
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … mmoninst33

about grub and other os'es
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/guide/ … tml#cfile2

also check the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WikiIndex

there is a good one on grub and winderz..
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gru … 20examples
of course, modify appropriately..

If you need more help, ask away. Don't feel too daunted.
8)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2004-10-26 01:45:00

gaah

thanks! but one of my biggest problems... How do I know if my disc0/part6 is my swap or my root or anything? and the boot partition, the arch setup don't ask for that one!?

havn't tried the grub stuff yet, since I haven't installed arch again yet... but I think I'll manage that! just that last time I didn't have any internet connection, I have to print some stuff before next attempt I think! hehe

#4 2004-10-26 04:24:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

gaah wrote:

thanks! but one of my biggest problems... How do I know if my disc0/part6 is my swap or my root or anything? and the boot partition, the arch setup don't ask for that one!?

If i recall correctly, and I might not..it has been a while since i did an install, the install asks you if you want to setup any more mounts. You say yes, choose a partition that you have already made, and are presented with a box saying something like /blah-blah...or something..
you just type into that box /boot.

as for the disc0/part6, well, when you create the partitions, you should write down which one you want to be which. Then, in the install when presented with a list of partitions, you should be able to choose the right ones (don't recall the exact screen representation, because, well, it has been quite a while since I have installed.)

Maybe someone else who has actually done an install recently can provide some more specific details. My two bit fifo buffer of a brain has long been flushed of this info.  roll

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2004-10-26 07:34:26

cereal
Website

IIRC it's not possible to accidentally mount a swap partition as root and vice versa.

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare." - (Kurtz, Apocalypse Now)

A few PKGBUILDs

#6 2004-10-26 09:43:31

paranoos

I've never made a partition for boot, it's just not necessary for modern machines. back in the day, before you could install boot loaders to the MBR, you had to have a boot partition at the very beginning of your hard drive. like i said, this is not necessary anymore.

i suggest you use cfdisk to delete all the linux partitions you made, and create just a swap and root. you can alsy try my alternative installation documentation, which I find to be simpler than the official docs. Feel free to ask any questions here. smile

#7 2004-10-26 17:06:03

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

gaah, just setup your partitions manually - keep in mind that windows requires the first partition on the disk for itself this screwed me up a handful of times.

use the grub options "makeactive" and "chainloader" to use the windows boot loader upon booting to windows (the silly black screen with the windows logo)

those documents linked above are good.  Any more questions, post it here

#8 2004-10-27 20:05:26

ScottTFrazer

If you have the luxury of two physical hard drives, you get a very clean and hard to break setup:

Install Windows XP on the C: Drive (currently /dev/hda)
Remove the drive and make it a slave to the new hard drive (now /dev/hdb)
Install Arch (or any Linux with Grub as a bootloader) on the new /dev/hda

Add the following to your /boot/grub/menu.lst

title Windows XP
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0) 
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

I saw 80gb drives at Best Buy the other day for $85 with a $60 rebate...  I shoulda bought one.

#9 2004-10-27 21:21:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ScottTFrazer wrote:

I saw 80gb drives at Best Buy the other day for $85 with a $60 rebate...  I shoulda bought one.

wow... ~30 cents per gig...

#10 2004-10-27 22:53:44

skeeterbug
Website

$.30US a gig - bah!  Back in ~'93/'94 I went to work for a PC company an one of the the perks was getting stuff @ cost so I went home to tell my wife how I was going to get this great deal on a new HDD - I was going to get a brand spanking new 540MB Western Digital for only $500.00!  I was like 'honey, that's less than a dollar a meg!!!' - it was frickin' unbelievable.

PS - my memory is fuzzy but that's the general truth of the story so don't come busting my * about <whinynerdvoice>well, in 1993 540MB hard drives were already below $400, blah blah</whinynerdvoice> tongue

#11 2004-10-28 14:06:39

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

skeeterbug wrote:

$.30US a gig - bah!  Back in ~'93/'94 I went to work for a PC company an one of the the perks was getting stuff @ cost so I went home to tell my wife how I was going to get this great deal on a new HDD - I was going to get a brand spanking new 540MB Western Digital for only $500.00!  I was like 'honey, that's less than a dollar a meg!!!' - it was frickin' unbelievable.

PS - my memory is fuzzy but that's the general truth of the story so don't come busting my * about <whinynerdvoice>well, in 1993 540MB hard drives were already below $400, blah blah</whinynerdvoice> tongue

hah, I'm still using a 280meg drive!  linux based firewall/gateways rock (i used to use it to share a dialup connection between like 10 comps at home hahah)

#12 2004-10-28 14:35:46

skeeterbug
Website

Hey, I'm running one of those too but I upgraded the box to a spare ~800MB drive that I had laying around.  It originally had a 253MB and 4MB RAM.  It's full specs now are:

IBM PS/1 486SX/2 50MHz
32MB 72 Pin RAM
64MB Swap
2 3C509TP ISA NICs (PnP Disabled)
~800MB HDD
4x IDE CD-ROM (Added)
3.5" FDD (Added - had a 3.5/5.25 combo in the single 5.25 bay - removed it to make way for the IDE CD)

The thing just runs and runs and runs, doesn't generate much heat because of the slow CPU - it's awesome.

#13 2004-10-28 17:01:43

ScottTFrazer

skeeterbug wrote:

When I was getting married (oi, that was 15 years ago) my mother offered me the diamond from her wedding ring for the engagement ring.  Then all I needed was a ring and someone to mount it.  I picked out a nice $150 white gold solitaire setting ring and bartered with a jeweler to mount the stone. 

I traded him two 30MB full height MFM drives that I had salvaged.

heh.

#14 2004-10-29 00:16:31

gaah

I started up the install cd of arch and found out I have three parts on the hdd, 1, 2 and 5. If I make more partitions (for arch) on my drive after the ones I have now, will the numbering change?
I still can't figure out which part is which! Logically c: would be part1 and d: would be part2, but what is part five? The d: is a logical partition, c: is primary! What should I make for arch? Logical or primary? And what is the difference?

#15 2004-10-29 00:30:04

yak8998

Lemme see how much I can help you out, I don't actually think about this stuff much when I do it.

logical and primary
A hard drive can only have 4 primary partitions. A logical partition was created to allow you to fit more partitions in a primary partition (only 4? or more?). Thus while you could have:
/part1  primary
/part2  primary
/part3  primary
/part4  primary
With logical you can have:
/part1  primary
/part2  primary
/part3  primary
/part5  logical
/part6  logical
/part7  logical
etc

/part4 is the primary partition which contains the logical partitions, and while it exists, you cannot do anything with it, only 5-7. I'm not sure what the rules on logical partitions are as far as FSs and installation, I know / will install fine to one tho, as will swap. I believe windows will as well.

Windows' Drive Naming conventions
Generally it will just go down the list and assign drive letters.
/part1  primary C:
/part2  primary D:
/part3  primary E:
/part4  primary F:
But it can be goofy when you install it first, and it will reassign them so C: can be the primary drive. Its not too hard to tell which is which, use the management consule's disk plugin.

Dual-boot arch and windows
1. Install Windows, it must be on a primary partition.
2. Install arch.
3. When it comes time to edit grub menu.lst, set the following for your windows install:

# (1) Win2k
title Windows 2000
root  (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Where root (hd0,0) refers to the partition where windows is installed. Here, its pointing to disc0/part1. Good luck, its a cake walk after the first time you do it.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#16 2004-10-29 01:25:49

gaah

Oh, so meaning in my case, part1 is c: primary (or is it part0???), and part2 is the logical containing my d: which is part5?

should I install arch on a primary or logical partition? if I make them logical, they'll be part6-7 (for root and swap?) and if I make it primary it'll be part3-4? so how should I do? make them logical or primary? and what's the difference when I use my os:es?

#17 2004-10-29 11:43:31

gaah

allright, thanks you all for the help! I managed to fix this now! :-D but I'm sure I'll be back here soon...

Board footer