You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-26 07:28:26

pedepy

"system-wide" proxy ?

I might not have the terminology quite right on this, I'm far from being an expert on the subject. That's why I'm turning to you guys !!!!!!!!! smile

I'm currently tethering my iPhone's connection via an app called PDANet which allows the computer to connect to a sort of 'wifi router' via an ad-hoc connection. While this doesn't quite work as they advertise it to (probably something I'm not doing that's getting auto 'automagically' in Windows/OS X), I am able to 'connect' to my iPhone and get offered an IP back when this app is running. I then launch the small socks server from the iPhone's term and voila I can use it to browse the tubes in firefox (with the proper settings).

Which is what brings me to my question: using this connection to my socks5 server running on my iPhone, I can resolve names and do http, at least. I'm just wondering, why this could be not set up as a 'system wide' service. In other words, all apps that want to connect to a certain IP/domain to a certain port, will do so as they always do. In other words why can't I set up a sort of service or daemon that uses this socks5 connection to the iPhone and sends back the data to the apps? As if my nameserver were the IP on the iPhone ? Or would I need something else running on the phone to provide that capability ?

Right now, when I dhcpcd, I get my IP from the iPhone, but nothing gets written in /etc/resolv.conf. I can only ping the iPhone's IP (which is the one I use to connect via proxy in firefox), and what I can only assume is my phone's IP on the 3G network, which starts with 10 (if that means anything to you experts.)....

Anyway, I'd like your thoughts on this..

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

Board footer