You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-25 20:27:10

Cew27

archlinux live usb install

hey guys i have been using fedoras live usb installs on my 2 gig usb stick for a while now and would like to try arch on a usb, i will be putting barebone kdemod on there along with wireless apps for managing and connecting to wireless networks, my question is are there any tutorials, is it the same as a normal install but with no swap, and a different filesystem? and lastly will 2 gb be enough for bade arch, kde mod + apps such as web browsers, im, email, gimp and possible a few little games?

#2 2008-06-25 20:42:02

Cew27

Re: archlinux live usb install

infact there is a point! how suitable will arch be for booting of many different systems with different hardware? will i need to reconfigure xorg everytime? and install drivers for wireless everytime?

#3 2008-06-25 21:10:23

lilsirecho
Veteran

Cew27;

Faunos utilizes USB flash devices to install an archlinux-based system and which utilizes a program called ...mkxorgconfig....which examines the computer system being addressed to modify xorg.conf to enable the system to reach DE in KDE.  This program is placed in /etc/rc.local and can be commented out after the xorg.conf is established for a given computer.

You may surmise correctly that this method doesn't fit every case due to third party driver problems....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2008-06-25 21:18:24

Cew27

i would like to better my knowlege of arch linux, would i be able to somehwat mimic faunos's features my self with a base archlinux install?

#5 2008-06-25 21:32:38

lilsirecho
Veteran

There is a new archlinux USB .img install available on the mirrors.  Perhaps you would like to try that approach?  I read that most users have had success with it.  It is for install only.

Faunos utilizes larch scripts and a FaunOS kernel version, squashfs and aufs in its system.  I assume you could learn from examining the files in FaunOS.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2008-06-25 21:35:14

Cew27

i am not trying to create a ubs that i can install arch from but a bootable arch live usb, is it possible to just arch with mkxorgconfig to sucessfully create a functioning live usb?

#7 2009-03-01 05:43:00

carruthers

just try chakra. its a live USB/CD environment from the people who make kdemod

#8 2009-03-01 06:04:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

carruthers wrote:

just try chakra. its a live USB/CD environment from the people who make kdemod

That's a 8 month old thread you pulled up. Cew27 must have found out about it long back i assume tongue

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer