You are not logged in.

#1 2009-01-29 03:45:24

capnmoney
Website

Comprehensive Server Guide on Wiki?

I'd like to see a comprehensiver server guide for Arch similar to the Beginners Guide.  There seem to be quite a few people using arch for servers, and it would be awesome to see more (maybe even an arch enterprise edition someday).  While there are quite a few articles on specific server subjects, there's nothing comprehensive.  I'm envisioning a guide that takes you from a base install of arch, covers the basics needed for a general server, and then gives you a few popular options to set up.

I know that the best practice for a wiki is that if you find it lacking an article you want, it's up to you to create that article.  I have no idea how to set up a server.  So what do people who actually know what this article should contain think?  Is it a good or bad idea?  Would you be willing to contribute?

Thanks

Edit:
Just created the page
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Com … rver_Guide
I should also mention I've never done a wiki page before, so someone with some experience may want to take over. smile

Last edited by capnmoney (2009-01-29 04:09:22)

#2 2009-01-29 03:53:36

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Comprehensive Server Guide on Wiki?

Given the way Arch is built (i.e.; you build it as you need it) I doubt that an enterprise edition would be too likely. However, setting up a wiki page that details setting up an Arch server would be a great idea. I actually wished there was one when I set up my first Arch server. Two servers later, I'd definitely be willing to help with writing a wiki page on the subject. When can you start? tongue

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#3 2009-01-29 05:10:36

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I think the issue might be it would be duplicating a lot of articles that are already in the wiki... ie, iptables, LAMP, postfix etc

Perhaps it just needs to link all those articles together in some kind of coherent order...?

#4 2009-01-29 05:37:13

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

I was thinking merging them (most of them need cleaning up anyway)

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#5 2009-01-29 18:43:49

capnmoney
Website

Linking in a coherent order or merging both sound good.  Either way, finding the coherent order and filling in the gaps sounds like the hard part.

#6 2009-01-29 18:59:15

daf666
Website

capnmoney wrote:

I would suggest that in order to save time and effort, you can add a comprehensive list of links to this page that point to existing wiki server setup pages.. instead of rewriting and having to maintain multiple copies of documents when updates are made.

#7 2009-01-31 22:44:58

stefanwilkens

Merging them all into one article is going to reduce the simpleness of the wiki, right?

People simply looking to install apache or sql without the rest would have to work their way through a big document. A "server" wiki could exist but should simply link to articles that are already made and add what it missing (server security, missing service documents)

Collecting links and setting up a server-with-arch howto is a good call though, I support it! Could be perfect for home users who want to keep all their home systems on the same arch

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2009-01-31 22:50:08)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#8 2009-01-31 23:53:24

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Merging articles because they are all relevant to  setting up a server makes about as much sense as merging everything that has to do with a desktop environment.

Perhaps it would make more sense to create categories as Wikipedia defines them, where articles related to each other are marked with a little info box that enables quick navigation between them.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#9 2009-02-01 00:58:39

tomk
Forum Fellow

Here's a general wiki-related comment, provoked by this thread.

I still cling to the idea that Arch users are smart enough to go and find the info that they need, wherever it may be, and to put it together in a manner that suits their requirements - much as they have done with their Arch system. I like our wiki as much as the next geek, but I don't think it needs to cover EVERYTHING. After all, Arch is as vanilla as possible, which means that a howto written for gentoo, ubuntu, slackware, or no distro at all, is easy to apply to Arch. The Beginner's guide is one thing, but I believe that providing a hack-by-numbers Arch server howto is unnecessary. I remember setting up my first server (on Debian) and enjoying the learning process as I pieced the thing together myself.

Just my (personal, not official) €0.02. smile

#10 2009-03-01 22:03:52

stefanwilkens

Yes! server guide

right now, the page is basicly a copy of the LAMP wiki page with some added blabber about server choises.

I'd suggest removing the entire installation / configuration of a LAMP server and simply linking to the LAMP article. This will prevent having to maintain 2 documents.

Suggestions to add... a listing of server-usefull applications such as ssh, ssl, denyhosts, postfix, samba, cups, iptables, dhcp-server, remote X login.. explaining their basic functionallity and linking to the appropriate wiki pages that already exist, if not create the wikipage to allow for more extensive configuration to be written on that app-specific page (again, to avoid having several documents on the same topic).

*edit*

didn't mean to sound like a person with 100% comments and nothing to add, lol. I'll be working on the wikipage over the comming week smile See the atricle's discussionpage, could use some help!

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2009-03-02 00:52:44)

#11 2009-03-04 15:11:35

stefanwilkens

I've started restructuring with a friend, the original document was saved on the discussion page. We'll certainly be using the work that was already done.

Feel free to help out!

Board footer