You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-01 19:29:36

sredna

intel pro wireless card can not connect

Since some weeks, i can not use my wireless network, it does not associate the access point.
The cared is a intel pro, using the agn driver.
I can not connect to my wep key protected home network, or public, unprotected accesspoints.
I tried various parameters with iwconfig, without success, so I assume the kernel module is broken.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2009-03-01 19:37:31

rayjgu3

Re: intel pro wireless card can not connect

which module do you use, what steps have been taken???
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wifi
would be a good start

#3 2009-03-02 15:44:22

sredna

Yes, I read the wiki page. Yes, everything is installed. It worked for a long time. I read the various manuals. I do it the correct, recomended way. It just does not work.

#4 2009-03-03 00:04:06

jdm

sredna wrote:

Since some weeks, i can not use my wireless network, it does not associate the access point.
The cared is a intel pro, using the agn driver.
I can not connect to my wep key protected home network, or public, unprotected accesspoints.
I tried various parameters with iwconfig, without success, so I assume the kernel module is broken.

Any help would be appreciated.

So you have a 4965 card and are using the iwlwifi-4965-ucode module?  Can you post the output of iwconfig, dmesg, and lspci?

#5 2009-03-03 04:47:56

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

sredna wrote:

Yes, I read the wiki page. Yes, everything is installed. It worked for a long time. I read the various manuals. I do it the correct, recomended way. It just does not work.

Rather than blaming devs for putting out faulty software, if I were you I'd look at myself - the PEBKAC problem wink. So an upgrade broke it. When was this? What packages where upgraded? Check your pacman log (yes, it exists).

You are aware the module name for Intel's wireless cards changed? Instead of referring to the card model it's now iwlcore and iwlagn. But then again, if you let udev figure it out, there shouldn't be the slightest problem in that upgrade.

Care to share any of your cherished errors? Without them there's not much we can do. The BBS has been out of crystal bowls for a long time.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2009-03-03 14:17:39

sredna

B wrote:
sredna wrote:

Rather than blaming devs for putting out faulty software, if I were you I'd look at myself - the PEBKAC problem wink. So an upgrade broke it. When was this? What packages where upgraded? Check your pacman log (yes, it exists).

You are aware the module name for Intel's wireless cards changed? Instead of referring to the card model it's now iwlcore and iwlagn. But then again, if you let udev figure it out, there shouldn't be the slightest problem in that upgrade.

Care to share any of your cherished errors? Without them there's not much we can do. The BBS has been out of crystal bowls for a long time.

Dear mr. B, I do not blame anybody anything. I report, as is, it does not work. On my system, in the hope that someone have something meaningful to say, not because I hoped for you to call me names. I do not know what your acronym means, and I do not wish to find out, since it appearently is there to make me less. I do not care for that.

The kernel modules that are loaded on my system, and was back when I had working wifi support, are iwlcore and iwlagn. I do not know that the iwlwifi-4965-ucode package is used for anything, I installed it because the before-mentioned wiki page recommends that, and I did get working support. I do not try to configure it by hand, I trust udev/hal/whatever is there to handle the hardware.

But, sorry for repeating, since some time, I can not connect to an access point. No matter if I try cli commands or use wicd or networkmanager applets. The result appears to be the same, there is no error from iwconfig, which does not succeed.

I can't even remember the date it went wrong, but i know that the kernel was updated as a part of that particular update. rolling back the kernel did not help though.

#7 2009-03-04 18:51:19

sredna

jdm wrote:

So you have a 4965 card and are using the iwlwifi-4965-ucode module?  Can you post the output of iwconfig, dmesg, and lspci?

Here is an exerpt from dmesg:

iwlagn 0000:04:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18                                          
iwlagn 0000:04:00.0: restoring config space at offset 0x1 (was 0x40100102, writing 0x40100106)           
iwlagn 0000:04:00.0: irq 761 for MSI/MSI-X
iwlagn 0000:04:00.0: firmware: requesting iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:radio
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:assoc
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:TX

The relevant line from lspci:

04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)

Sample iwconfig output:

anders@mars ~ $ sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid tensredna key 00000000
Adgangskode:
anders@mars ~ $ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"tensredna"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Tx-Power=15 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

I tried to use various parameters with iwconfig, such as ap, channel, mode etc, to no avail. I also have the exact same problem trying to connect to unprotected networks, where I only specify the essid.

Board footer