You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-03 07:46:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Tiling WMs - Management style

Can someone explain what that means
I checked this comparo of tiling WMs and the only clue I got was this obscure statement

The user must manually move windows around.

Can someone elaborate on it? What does it mean to the actual user? If I am moving the windows manually as a user(whatever that means), what do the other Tiling WMs that have a dynamic management style do differently?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-03 07:46:46)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2009-03-03 09:18:16

u_no_hu

Re: Tiling WMs - Management style

Dynamic - the wm places the windows according to the layout you choose (awesome , xmonad,dwm etc)
Manual - You split the screen and place the windows where ever you want... otherwise they all come maximised(ratposion, ion etc)

Why not try them out and understand the difference?

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2009-03-03 12:34:55

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

when you spawn windows in wmii it just makes it all fit automatically. they all go under each other by default, you have keybinds to move them around if you don't like it (and maybe you can configure it to put windows at specific places automatically, i'm not sure)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#4 2009-03-03 18:38:43

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

u_no_hu wrote:

Dynamic - the wm places the windows according to the layout you choose (awesome , xmonad,dwm etc)
Manual - You split the screen and place the windows where ever you want... otherwise they all come maximised(ratposion, ion etc)

I am trying them out. I have currently installed awesome, dwm and wmii to see which suits me. well I removed awesome when I saw on the wiki that the recommended is awesome-git and I had installed it from the repo. So I will be installing the git version tonight.

Its just that once I get into those WMs, there is hardly anything that I can do since I don't know the shortcuts to do anything. Last night I logged into dwm and the only thing I could do was hard reset -- of course that was because I am a bonehead and not because dwm is lacking.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2009-03-03 19:01:19

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Inxsible wrote:

Its just that once I get into those WMs, there is hardly anything that I can do since I don't know the shortcuts to do anything. Last night I logged into dwm and the only thing I could do was hard reset -- of course that was because I am a bonehead and not because dwm is lacking.

Okay bonehead, most of these WM's actually have some 'tutorial' or 'beginners guide' or whatever. wmii even shows a tutorial when you start it for the first time, and I remember awesome had a pretty good explanation page too. smile

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2009-03-03 19:20:40

Rasi
Website

Inxsible wrote:

wtf.. hard reset? ctrl+alt+backspace should be good enough smile

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#7 2009-03-03 19:27:01

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Dieter@be wrote:

Okay bonehead, most of these WM's actually have some 'tutorial' or 'beginners guide' or whatever. wmii even shows a tutorial when you start it for the first time, and I remember awesome had a pretty good explanation page too. smile

Rasi wrote:

wtf.. hard reset? ctrl+alt+backspace should be good enough smile

Yeah ... I just installed them last night and I didnt start up wmii yet. and yeah Rasi -- i was too damn sleepy at 4am to think of Ctrl+Alt+Backspace big_smile

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-03 19:27:38)

Forum Rules

#8 2009-03-03 19:35:59

adamlau

u_no_hu's script works well with pekwm and JWM (though not without a minor issue on my box). I bound my Windows key to swap, left, right, cycle, real slick and real smooth.

Last edited by adamlau (2009-03-03 19:36:12)

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#9 2009-03-03 19:50:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

adamlau wrote:

u_no_hu's script works well with pekwm and JWM (though not without a minor issue on my box). I bound my Windows key to swap, left, right, cycle, real slick and real smooth.

you are talking about u_no_hu's "Poor man's tiling wm" script correct?

Forum Rules

#10 2009-03-04 07:47:30

u_no_hu

Inxsible wrote:
adamlau wrote:

you are talking about u_no_hu's "Poor man's tiling wm" script correct?

Man!! I should rename it something else.... I never thought others would be much interested in it and gave it the first name that came to my mind... Now that its getting popular, How can i put a donate button near a "Poor man's tiling wm" wink

#11 2009-03-04 08:01:06

u_no_hu

Inxsible wrote:
u_no_hu wrote:

I am trying them out. I have currently installed awesome, dwm and wmii to see which suits me. well I removed awesome when I saw on the wiki that the recommended is awesome-git and I had installed it from the repo. So I will be installing the git version tonight.

As dieter@be said, start with wmii, because it has a pretty good tutorial on startup which gives you a pretty good idea about tiling wms. Once you get the idea, try them all and you will find something which will suit you.
In my case i found ion3 to be perfect for my need though it is not that popular among others (may be because of the politics). Ion3 and pekwm both allow hotswapping of window managers so i find using a combination of both to be perfect(you can bind keys to swap windowmanagers on the fly.. which is pretty nice when you want to open gimp or cinepaint).

#12 2009-03-04 08:06:03

adamlau

Yeah, another name so we can make a consistent PKGBUILD for it! Something simple, like 'tiling', or 'tiwm', or 'tilingwm', or 'unohu'.

Last edited by adamlau (2009-03-04 08:06:18)

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#13 2009-03-04 14:36:00

tjwoosta

read the man and you will probably see a list of the keybindings and what they do

thats the way it works in awesome anyway

#14 2009-03-05 07:26:05

robmaloy

this is gnu/linux. we don't have Clippit™
wink

☃ Snowman ☃

#15 2009-03-05 15:55:21

tjwoosta

robmaloy wrote:

this is gnu/linux. we don't have Clippit™