irc.bsd.cl #linux
irc.freenode.org #archlinux-es

#2 2004-11-02 19:01:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: problem with samba

adding the "SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192" options is a good thing, BTW

ummm, try disabling WINS support - I've never used/needed it.

do you want security set to user level? for a local network I usually set it to share.

That's about all I got for now... try that and reboot the windows machines

#3 2004-11-02 20:32:14

kleptophobiac

Turning on the WINS server and pointing the windows boxen to it is a good thing as well. It speeds up network communication via SMB as well as ensures the constant listing of computers.

#4 2004-11-02 22:17:04

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

kleptophobiac wrote:

Turning on the WINS server and pointing the windows boxen to it is a good thing as well. It speeds up network communication via SMB as well as ensures the constant listing of computers.

huh, I didnt know that

#5 2004-11-02 23:40:46

kleptophobiac

Yeah, it's nifty because it makes accessing the "my network places" on a windows box much faster and snappier. It also allows new machines to show up on the listing very quickly, and makes name resolution via netbios instantaneous.

Very much worth having one on any Windows network. I only have eight computers at my house, only four of which are on at any time (well... eight windows boxen). Having a WINS server makes things run far more smoothly.

#6 2004-11-03 07:06:08

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

It only works faster because the smb server can artificially set itself as a higher potential for master after every cycle.
I can't imagine a meager win98 desktop somewhere housing the master browsing list of a group for a cycle, but it often happens..
LOL
what a good protocol *sarcasm*

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2004-11-03 17:02:31

ScottTFrazer

Oh man, WINS bites.  Hard.

It's okay in really tiny installations, but then in really tiny installations you can just use broadcasts to find the servers.  Get it into a 500 computer domain with multiple subnets and you'll understand what pain is after about 6 months.

The dns proxy option is better, and if you run an active directory domain, set your search domain up to be the dns name of the active directory.  i.e. your domain is sfrazer.home, so your windows machine is windows.sfrazer.home.

If you aren't using any sort of domain controller, just identify the machines by name and let the broadcasts do their job.

#8 2004-11-05 00:45:07

celeron2002

i tried with wins, but doesn't work. However when i test the network with smb4k or xsmbrowser, i have add the windows machines manually for ips sad
how can i detect de windows machines auto?

aps, and from windows machine, my machine is invisible sad sad

irc.bsd.cl #linux

#9 2004-11-05 01:02:41

celeron2002

i tried with domain master, and this work but a login screen appeared in smb4k, i don t know , wich is the user and pass,
and i don t know where have i  add the user for the samba :S

before, i have added the user with smbpasswd -a USER, but this doesnt work in this case sad

irc.bsd.cl #linux

Board footer