You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-20 22:36:48

z.s.tar.gz

Where did modules go?

I downloaded a new arch iso, and when I installed it I noticed there were no modules in rc.conf
What happened to the autogeneration?

I need to find a way out so everyone can find their way out.
Resregietd Lunix Uesr: 485581

#2 2009-03-20 22:45:38

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Where did modules go?

That array was populated by the output of the hwdetect tool on previous isos..I believe the thought is that udev is now reliable enough to load them all at boot.
Of course, you may still use the array to specify (or blacklist) any modules you wish.

#3 2009-03-20 22:49:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:

That array was populated by the output of the hwdetect tool on previous isos..I believe the thought is that udev is now reliable enough to load them all at boot.
Of course, you may still use the array to specify (or blacklist) any modules you wish.

I am not so sure... I have a bunch of modules..but when I blacklisted all of them, my sound didn't work. So I am not sure if udev is "reliable" enough yet -- at least for me.

I still have all my modules listed the same way I had when I first installed Arch

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-03-20 23:00:58

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Inxsible wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

I am not so sure... I have a bunch of modules..but when I blacklisted all of them, my sound didn't work. So I am not sure if udev is "reliable" enough yet -- at least for me.

I still have all my modules listed the same way I had when I first installed Arch

Hmm...let me clarify.
That array was populated by the output of the hwdetect tool by the installer script on previous isos.

So, if you have not reinstalled recently, you won't see this new behavior, (empty modules array)...
Whether or not udev is reliable enough, is open for debate. I simply believe that the release engineering team felt that the hwdetect step was unnecessary anymore.

#5 2009-03-20 23:05:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:

Hmm...let me clarify.
That array was populated by the output of the hwdetect tool by the installer script on previous isos.

So, if you have not reinstalled recently, you won't see this behavior...
Whether or not udev is reliable enough, is open for debate. I simply believe that the release engineering team felt that the hwdetect step was unnecessary anymore.

Fair enough. I am not about to re-install Arch just to get rid of my modules array ;-)
I am actually trying to go for a record of how long has it been since you re-installed big_smile

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-03-20 23:08:14

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

#7 2009-03-20 23:12:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:

Ok. So how does a new user find out what is needed and what's not because the link does say that we still need to list things which neither udev nor hwdetect detects.

EDIT:

I should rephrase that...not a new user...but a user who used an earlier iso and has all the modules listed in the MODULES array.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-20 23:13:48)

Forum Rules

#8 2009-03-20 23:19:54

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Inxsible wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

Ok. So how does a new user find out what is needed and what's not because the link does say that we still need to list things which neither udev nor hwdetect detects.

EDIT:

I should rephrase that...not a new user...but a user who used an earlier iso and has all the modules listed in the MODULES array.

The modules will stay there just fine, as you have observed.

If a user who used an earlier iso wishes to re-install with the 2009.2 iso, the modules array will no longer be populated at install time by running hwdetect and grepping the output. Therefore, it is up to the user to specify any additional modules that are required.
For instance, sound modules, in your case.
You can still use hwd, hwdetect, lspci,  lshwd, or whichever tool you wish to assist you, manually I suppose...

#9 2009-03-21 16:40:27

z.s.tar.gz

That makes sense. Thanks!

I need to find a way out so everyone can find their way out.
Resregietd Lunix Uesr: 485581

#10 2009-03-21 17:54:09

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Inxsible wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

I am not so sure... I have a bunch of modules..but when I blacklisted all of them, my sound didn't work. So I am not sure if udev is "reliable" enough yet -- at least for me....

I think you are misunderstanding. If you blacklist a module, it will not be loaded by udev. If it is a sound module you are blacklisting, then obviously your sound won't work.

The thought is if you remove all modules (note: not blacklist them) from the array, udev is usually reliable enough to load them on its own.

Board footer