You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-15 16:39:14

blampars

cant access xp machine through network

I know there's posts on this already, I've been through tons of them (and the wiki) but nothing seems to help me with my situation.  I hate asking for help, but I'm at a loss here. neutral

I'm trying to access files on my girlfriends xp machine.  The folders there are shared. The xp machine does not need to access my arch machine.
I've installed samba (not sure i need it?) and nautilus-share. I also have gnome-vfs
I've put "include = /etc/samba/usershare.conf" at the bottom of the global section in /etc/samba/smb.conf as instructed by the installation instructions.
I've created the group samba and added myself to this group

I'm using gnome, and trying to browse with nautilus.  I can see the computer on the network, and I can ping it no problem.  When I access the computer via nautilus it shows no shared folders.  Out of curiousity I booted my virtual ubuntu to make sure everything was ok from the xp side.  It has no problems seeing the shared folders.

I need some guidance.  I was up till 2:30am last night messing with it, and have spent the better part of 2 hours today playing with it.  Maybe I just have a mental block or something, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Help please? It would be much appreciated!
-b

EDIT: On a whim, I opened nautilus and put "smb://192.168.1.103/c$/" in the location, which worked perfectly.
Why am I having a problem going through Places>Network>Machine ??  I don't get it lol

Last edited by blampars (2009-03-15 17:22:11)

#2 2009-03-21 15:28:29

biloky

Re: cant access xp machine through network

Hi,

After recently switching to OpenDNS, I found myself in the same situation as you are: I can see and ping the XP pc, can access the shared folders via IP address, but not via nautilus.

I kinda solved the problem by adding the following line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast host

Try to change the order.  No need to restart, just re-open nautilus and browse network upon each change.

Btw, if you won't be sharing any folders on your Arch box, you don't need to install samba or nautilus-share.

Hope this helps big_smile

#3 2009-03-21 17:51:40

kgas

In lxde with pcmanfm there is no direct way (like nautilus in gnome) to see the network and view the shared folders. In this case the shared folder can be mounted using sudo umount.cifs ~/<Folder/to/mount> command and works fine for me. In nautilus try to acees the folder thro' connect to server option with custom and will help.

#4 2009-03-22 01:19:56

blampars

thanks for the replys!  i'll check out your solution biloky, the next time my GF comes over with her computer.

-b

Board footer