You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-20 21:17:24

whoops

[SOLVED]Nautilus not "zooming" video thumbnails

Hi!

When i set Nautilus to more than 100% "zoom", the icons of video files get bigger but the thumbnails drawn on them stay the same size, so the video files look like a big white rectangle with a small (regular sized) thumbnail in the middle of it.

Setting Nautilus to less than 100% zoom has video thumbnauls scale down correctly. Inside the .thumbnails folders, the png's belonging to videos and other files look both ok and exactly the same way, but the ploblem only occurs with actual video files.

I noticed, that pictures in big folders first show the same way, shortly after the thumbnails are generated - but they are shown appropriately after a few seconds and video file icons stay that way permanently no matter what.

Any idea how to solve that? thx!

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-23 16:40:35)

#2 2009-03-20 21:29:41

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Nautilus not "zooming" video thumbnails

AFAIK, once the thumbnails are generated, nautilus doesn't generate them over and over. So first change your zoom level to your liking, then delete the thumbnails for the videos or files in question (probably in .thumbnails) and then hit refresh in nautilus. Hopefully it will generate the new thumbnails with the correct zoom levels.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-20 21:50:55

whoops

Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried - no change. To me it looks, like when "generating" the icons ( "scaled thumbnail + rectangle = file icon" ) it does not scale the thumbnail - wherever that's done - it just puts it in the middle of the icon.

I've got no idea why it does that to video file icons and not to  picture-thumbnail-icons (which are displayed ok no matter what "zoom level") etc. - as mentionued, the png's in the .thumbnail folder look all the same (=ok), so it looks to me as if whatever function does the "nautilus zoom level" is the thing responsible... Or not. wink

#4 2009-03-21 12:35:08

whoops

OK...

So, I fetched nautilus source with abs and took a look at it. Then I remembered how complicated those things look, if you're not familiar with the program source already and how long it takes to get into it if your "programming skills" are more or less limited to copy & paste... so I just began browsing the code, looking for "zoom", "thumbnail" and "mime"... adding video mime types everywhere where i could find of image mime-types and copy&pasting some almost random stuff around.

That of course didn't fix anything at all, but the really AMAZING thing is, that nautilus still works (except the drawing of the desktop icons)! wink

I guess I'm going to reinstall nautilus with pacman and do another restart now, to get everything back the way it was - if anyone has a better Idea than trying more random stuff I don't understand (or leaving it alone, which would maybe be the wiser but evenly ineffective solution I guess), I'd really appreciate it.

I'm pretty clueless, as noone else seems to have the same problem but it's practically an "almost typical, fresh, vanilla, confused amateur-made archlinux/gnome/compiz install" I got here.... how can that be?

thx

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-21 12:36:19)

#5 2009-03-21 22:13:24

whoops

Tried to update nautilus to 2.25.93 (which required installing "unique1.0" & updating gnome-desktop too) - that didn't change anything. Running out of ideas...

#6 2009-03-22 09:44:04

moljac024

Did you seriously randomly copy and paste stuff from the source code ?

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#7 2009-03-22 10:54:35

whoops

Not absolutely randomly - just "things that look somehow related to the problem" without understanding the most of it. I thought if I'd at least manage to mess up the icons even more (without wrecking the rest), I'd know I have found where to look more into detail.... well, as it did not change anything about how thumbnail-icons are drawn, I just reinstalled, so the changes are all long gone.

The problem still isn't. I installed thunar without the ability to generate video thumbnails itself as a test: it has been showing and scaling all the video thumbnails nautilus generated before fine - while nautilus still does not.

#8 2009-03-22 14:15:11

whoops

Now I tested what happens if I manually enlarge a png in ~/.thumbnails with gimp: nautilus displays the corresponding icon correctly. That should mean, I searched in the wrong place all along...:

I think - when working probably - nautilus is not supposed to enlarge thumbnails ad-hoc while displaying a "zoomed folder" (as i thought), it tells the thumbnailer to do another, larger thumbnail of the files and reload those.

... and that's what mine doesn't do.

I tried to manually run totem-video-thumbnailer to generate a larger thumbnail of a video (that is not displayed correctly in zoom view)  and it worked.

Then I tried to entered (into gconf desktop/gnome/thumbnailers)
/bin/echo %s %u %o >> /home/user/Desktop/thumb.log
instead of
/usr/bin/totem-video-thumbnailer -s %s %u %o
and tried
echo %s %u %o >> /home/user/Desktop/thumb.log
and
echo %s %u %o \>\> /home/user/Desktop/thumb.log
too...
as a "dummy-thumbnailer" to check, what exactly nautilus does... which did not work. No idea how that gconf entry is handled. Changing it this way disabled thumbnailing for the corresponding mime-type but did not write anything into the "log".

So... fresh out of ideas again. Any hints?

#9 2009-03-22 15:11:06

bwalk

#10 2009-03-22 16:08:20

whoops

Hmh... I've got no memory or cpu issues even while letting nautilus thumbnail big folders  (it takes a whole while, but it does not block anything).

So... does that mean the scaling of video thumbnails has been disabled because of this bug?

#11 2009-03-22 16:39:27

whoops

Found inside: abs/extra/libgnomeui
File: gnome-thumbnail.c

changed:
  size = 128;
  if (factory->priv->size == GNOME_THUMBNAIL_SIZE_LARGE)
    size = 256;

...to:
  size = 256;
    size = 256;

compiled, restarted nautilus: WORKING FINE NOW wink

But i don't think this is like it's supposed to be (and I've got no idea what else I changed by doubling that value). So, whatever that part I altered does - shouldn't there be something like...:
  size = 128;
    size = 256;
  if (factory->priv->size == GNOME_THUMBNAIL_SIZE_LARGEST)
    size = 512;
or something?

Well, I've got got big thumbnailed video icons again, so I'll leave all the sourcecode I don't understand alone for a while now. I'm not marking this thread as "solved" yet, as the method I used to get where I want is most likely very, very, very wrong.

(edit: jupp, still working after reboot. source messy, thumbnails big, me happy. big_smile)

Last edited by whoops (2009-03-22 16:44:43)

#12 2009-03-23 16:46:24

whoops

Has not crashed so far, speed still acceptable (as long as you do something else while it updates some of the bigger new folders), makes nice thumbnails without blur (a lot better than I ever had them in any file-manager wink) - at least until it "updates itself away" I decided to keep:

size = 256;
    size = 512;

...together with a thumbnail size of 64 (instead of 96 - declared inside gconf).

"Sort of solved".

Board footer