You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-16 19:13:41

Nazgulled

"Transient resolver failure" in Pacman

I've searched for this and found a couple of threads, but none seemed to be my problem and/or their solutions didn't seem to fit... Or maybe I missed a thread about this that would fix my problem...

When I run "pacman -Sy" as root, everything works. If I run "sudo pacman -Sy" I get a "Transient resolver failure" error in every mirror pacman tries to connect too.

Any solutions for this?

#2 2009-03-16 19:29:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: "Transient resolver failure" in Pacman

is your username in the wheel group ? Check for it by

groups

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-16 19:34:56

Nazgulled

Yes.

#4 2009-03-16 19:35:50

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Please show us how it looks in the terminal Nazgulled - like I asked you before wink. Show the output (and your commands) both as regular user and root.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2009-03-16 19:50:31

Nazgulled

ROOT:
pacmanroot.th.jpg

USER:
pacmanuser.th.jpg

The first mirrors on my list are kinda slow lately, that's why they time out (how can I change the timeout value by the way?).

And as you can see, on both, I pressed Ctrl+C to, otherwise it would take long...

#6 2009-03-16 20:05:35

Forum Fellow
Website

You can use copy/paste too and use the code tags wink.

As for your error - there is no difference whatsoever in doing it as root or as a regular user. I bet your mirrorlist has all mirrors uncommented too, you should set one and comment the others (usiing rankmirrors to pick the fastest one).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2009-03-16 21:06:41

Nazgulled

Actually I can't because I have yet to properly configure (and install for that matter) a browser on GNOME... This was faster anyway tongue

There must be some kind difference, probably in sudo?? Because one works and the other doesn't... And yes, they are uncommented and I don't want to leave just one, even if it's just the fastest, if for some reason the one I leave uncommented is down, I won't be able to update the system or install packages.

I will try rankmirror but I don't think it will solve my problem.

Last edited by Nazgulled (2009-03-16 21:11:08)

#8 2009-03-16 22:00:56

Surgat_

Try 'rankmirrors /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.rank' for example, and change your Include lines in pacman.conf to the new file. That way you'll have all your mirrors uncommented and pacman will try the fastest one,then the second, etc. I don't know if that can solve your problem but whenever you get to solve it, you'll have the fastest mirrors wink

#9 2009-03-17 01:42:28

Nazgulled

I don't know why, but the rankmirrors command is creating a file without any mirrors, the file only has the commented lines, no servers at all...

#10 2009-03-17 01:55:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

rankmirrors has to actually access the mirrors to assess how fast they are.  As far as I can tell, you have very limited network connectivity.  I'd say no network setup butt is strange that with root you managed to connect to one mirror...

So, how are you connecting to the internet.  Post your relevant network setup section from /etc/rc.conf

#11 2009-03-17 16:40:18

Nazgulled

I don't think I have limited network connectivity because I can browse (I know I said I couldn't browse, but now I can) just fine and I can use pacman as root. I've already installed some packages and updated the system, through pacman, with the current network configuration.

I am running Arch in VirtualBox though and don't have direct access to the internet...

EDIT:
But my internet connection is configured with the use of a proxy server in the host machine. I created a virtual network adapter in Windows and use that adapter as "host interface" in VirtualBox so I can point all proxy servers in the Arch guest machine to the proxy on the host.

However, I just tried NAT networking with VirtualBox and also "host interface" with my wireless NIC (not the virtual network adapter) and the results are the same. Maybe it's because the wireless is signal is not that great where I'm located, but the internet works fine and I can browser all pages. But I actually tested the mirrors that rankmirrors is failing directly in the host, and they are very very slow too. The fact that pacman or rankmirros don't use most mirrors is probably because the timeout value is set to a very low value cause when I open the closest mirror to me (which is in fact my university's mirror) it takes a lot of time to open the page in the host browser. Probably the signal's fault, the university is just next to me but i'm located in it's bounds.

However, I don't think this has anything to do with the fact that I can't use pacman with sudo as a normal user. Even the servers that work as root, fail with sudo pacman...

Last edited by Nazgulled (2009-03-17 16:59:38)

#12 2009-03-17 17:29:09

Forum Fellow
Website

Well that was a crucial piece of information you're leaving out. You didn't tell you ran Arch inside a VM. Are you able to surf within the VM, or just outside the VM?

I have seen quite a few problems with VM installs coming by, but I have no experience. I think it requires bridging of your interface in the VM configuration, though.

#13 2009-03-17 18:24:12

Nazgulled

I've breating a couple of help topics lately and I normally say I'm running Arch as guest in VirtualBox in Windows Vista as host but I forgot on this one...

Yes, I'm able to surf within the VM. That was one of the first things I configured, with network access, I wouldn't be using Arch and/or VirtualBox. That's correctly configured and working. Liked I said, I can use pacman just fine to install new packages, I'm actualling installing something right now and it's downloading from the internet... So, connection is fine.

But still, we are just talking about connection problems, I don't see how this can be a connection problem if it works on root and not as normal user, some configuration is missing in the user part, or it should be working...

#14 2009-03-18 01:36:56

Nazgulled

Just realized a few things after running rankmirrors a couple of times...

First, as I'm connection through my univeristy wifi connection, they do not allow FTP connections. So, rankmirrors was failing a lot in every mirror that starts with ftp://. From the http:// mirrors, the one at the top is the local one here my university, which is normal. So, everything's good in terms of connection and everything makes sense.

Now I'm only left with the original problem, running pacman as a normal user...

#15 2009-03-23 17:48:53

Nazgulled

I'm going to mark this as "solved" because for some reason, it's working now...

Thanks all that tried to to help.

Board footer