You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-25 23:55:09

Element 22

Installing 3rd party software

I'm trying to get my mp3 player (creative zen) working with Amarok and want to use the latest version of libmtp which is 0.3.6 while the version in pacman is .0.2.X.
I tried installing the package from the libmtp website which came as a .tar.gz using the basic configure, make, make install using

./configure --prefix=/usr/local

as suggested in the wiki and it seems to install fine. But when I go to use

mtp-detect

it can't seem to find it.

Am I missing something? Should I add testing back into ABS and see if that version is in there and install that way?
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41494 Got it working with the old version so worst come to worst I'll try that method, in which case my only real question is what is the suffix for PKGBUILD files? Are they simply .txts?

Thanks!

(This is in the newbie section because not knowing how to install 3rd party programs makes me a newbie  tongue)

#2 2009-03-26 00:10:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Installing 3rd party software

Maybe the executable for the app is named differently. Try

pacman -Ql [i]packagename[/i]

it will list all the files owned by that package and most likely the one in /usr/bin will be the executable.

and yes, PKGBUILDs are simply text files which you can edit to install with your own options and compile it with lighter options as well.

and lastly, the package and the version that you want is in AUR already. All you need to do is

yaourt -S libmtp-devel

of course assuming that you have yaourt installed. Else you can also get the PKGBUILD and install it with pacman -U

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-26 00:16:26)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-26 00:14:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

Inxsible - he didn't make a package. He installed it the "classic" way.

Element - mtp-detect can't be found because /usr/local is not in your $PATH.

Read the wiki pages about ABS (Arch Build System) and related subjects for answers to your package-building questions.

#4 2009-03-26 06:44:18

Element 22

Thanks for the replys, I just have a few more questions for you:
Is there a way to search the abs packages without using the file search function? Perhaps one from makepkg? Is there a way to install amarok-base from pacman with mtp support compiled in? The question stems from the error:

KLibLoader could not load the plugin:
libamarok_mtp-mediadevice
Error message:
libmtp.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I'm guessing that mtp isn't compiled in, and I seem to need it to use my mp3 player because I've done everything else needed apparently?

#5 2009-03-26 10:06:00

robmaloy

Element 22 wrote:

Thanks for the replys, I just have a few more questions for you:
Is there a way to search the abs packages without using the file search function? Perhaps one from makepkg? Is there a way to install amarok-base from pacman with mtp support compiled in? The question stems from the error:

KLibLoader could not load the plugin:
libamarok_mtp-mediadevice
Error message:
libmtp.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I'm guessing that mtp isn't compiled in, and I seem to need it to use my mp3 player because I've done everything else needed apparently?

that error message says it cannot find the library
if you configured it with prefix=/usr/local the reason is obvious as libmtp.so.7 would reside in /usr/local/lib (it should be in /usr/lib or just /lib)

i'd recommend you use one of the already-available packages

☃ Snowman ☃

Board footer