You are not logged in.

#126 2009-03-25 21:35:41

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Musca (Tiling Window Manager)

random offtopic @inxsible: realized no such things as pm's exists at the forums, i cannot e-mail you, i felt it wasn't needed to start a thread about it:
I just learned about wm's and wanna try it out, your signature, does it mean that you are using musca, dwm and openbox at the same time or that you switch between them? For me "musca + dwm + openbox" means using them on top of each other and "musca/dwm/openbox" means switching between them. I just got greatly confused :S

Musca looks really cool, i definitely wanna try it out. I don't really like kde/gnome taking up my precious screen space with panels and stuff!

#127 2009-03-25 21:57:18

Procyon

@aerosuidae: thanks!

I am trying out some new scripts that work on the dump file. I made one that switches windows around in the frames. It's a lot better than the ones I posted earlier.

I also tried showing all the windows in a dzen2 status bar. I had this in mind
grep ^window .musca_dump | cut -f3 | xargs echo | dzen2 -p 3

But it doesn't look very good without highlighting the currently open window. Could you add that information to the dump file?

Last edited by Procyon (2009-03-25 21:57:47)

#128 2009-03-25 22:28:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

hatten wrote:

random offtopic @inxsible: realized no such things as pm's exists at the forums, i cannot e-mail you, i felt it wasn't needed to start a thread about it:
I just learned about wm's and wanna try it out, your signature, does it mean that you are using musca, dwm and openbox at the same time or that you switch between them? For me "musca + dwm + openbox" means using them on top of each other and "musca/dwm/openbox" means switching between them. I just got greatly confused :S

Musca looks really cool, i definitely wanna try it out. I don't really like kde/gnome taking up my precious screen space with panels and stuff!

I just never thought it that way. I do use them all, but switch between them. Currently I mostly use Musca. Haven't used dwm in some time and haven't logged into openbox since about a month now. I will change it to musca/dwm/openbox, if its so confusing wink

EDIT: vvvv there you go

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-25 22:29:43)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#129 2009-03-26 01:36:35

aerosuidae

Inxsible wrote:

Do you see something that is obviously incorrect in the commands?

You only need exec at the very beginning.  Musca knows nothing about &&; it just passes everything after the first exec to the shell as one command.  So, those later execs are running the sh exec, not the Musca exec.  Try:

bind on Mod4+r exec musca -c 'add rTorrent' && musca -c 'pad 0 0 0 24' && urxvt -bg black -fg white -name rTorrent -e screen -S rtorrent rtorrent

#130 2009-03-26 01:54:16

aerosuidae

Procyon wrote:

I also tried showing all the windows in a dzen2 status bar. I had this in mind
grep ^window .musca_dump | cut -f3 | xargs echo | dzen2 -p 3.  But it doesn't look very good without highlighting the currently open window. Could you add that information to the dump file?

No smile  Well, maybe yes, but not yet.  I need to consider what else needs to be in the dump file, and possibly whether it should be in some non-proprietry format, first, before hacking in extra stuff.

Note that we support some EWMH, you can actually get the active window and window list the "normal way" using xprop and wmctrl, eg:

[sean@vela ~]$ xprop -root | grep _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW\(WINDOW\) | awk '{print $5}'
0x120000e
[sean@vela ~]$ wmctrl -l
0x0120000e  0 vela xterm
0x0240000e  1 vela xterm
0x01e00003  1 vela xosview@vela

This is safer as the format will never change.

#131 2009-03-26 03:27:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

aerosuidae wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

Do you see something that is obviously incorrect in the commands?

You only need exec at the very beginning.  Musca knows nothing about &&; it just passes everything after the first exec to the shell as one command.  So, those later execs are running the sh exec, not the Musca exec.  Try:

bind on Mod4+r exec musca -c 'add rTorrent' && musca -c 'pad 0 0 0 24' && urxvt -bg black -fg white -name rTorrent -e screen -S rtorrent rtorrent

Sweet !!!

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#132 2009-03-26 05:35:57

skottish
Forum Fellow

Both aerosuidae and myself are impressed by how much interest is building around Musca. I'll sticky this while it's hot.

#133 2009-03-26 19:15:08

Procyon

Ah, in the musca dump window 0 is always the active window. I have some good ideas now.

I do have a problem with dzen2, that is when I click an overlapping window, the dzen window becomes invisible. I don't know how to unmanage it (xprop says that dzen has no class)

Is it possible to always show the dzen window without using padding?

#134 2009-03-26 21:53:45

Wishes

What about mutiple screens? Can Musca handle that? I tried wmii, and it doesn't work. Awesome works fine, but i don't like that i have to adjust the config file every release.

#135 2009-03-26 22:23:56

Procyon

@Wishes: Yeah, no need to run another instance. You use the screen command (see the website)

#136 2009-03-26 23:14:40

aerosuidae

Procyon wrote:

Ah, in the musca dump window 0 is always the active window. I have some good ideas now.

Heh, you're right.  That feature was accidental smile

Procyon wrote:

I do have a problem with dzen2, that is when I click an overlapping window, the dzen window becomes invisible. I don't know how to unmanage it (xprop says that dzen has no class)  Is it possible to always show the dzen window without using padding?

Not yet. (Though, I keep saying no/not-yet to you, and you find a way).  If dzen2 is using _NET_WM_STATE_STICKY or _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE then that will be included in the next EWMH support effort.

#137 2009-03-27 01:40:40

EnvoyRising

Is there a way to set default padding sol that every time I create a new group? As of right now, I have to type:

exec musca -c 'add <name of group>'  && musca -c 'pad 0 0 0 15'

Also, up until now, I have been using config.h because I'd rather swap a couple of Mask values there than to have to remap every command in musca_start. Is there planss to implement editing the modifier key mappings in musca_start? Perhaps something like:

set Mod4 Mod1Mask

Other than that, I'm really enjoying Musca. It's the only thing I like better than wmii ATM. Thank you for your contribution.

#138 2009-03-27 02:23:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

the problem with default padding is that some users might like it at the top, others on the bottom  and so on... I can live with adding an additional musca -c pad 0 0 0 24 or whatever to any keybinding that creates a new group.

Forum Rules

#139 2009-03-27 03:58:23

EnvoyRising

I wasn't saying change the default padding, but rather add an option that lets you set it globally. Seems to me it would be easier to write: "set default_pad 0 0 0 15" than to have to do it for eaach group that is created.

Actually, I was under the impression that adding "pad 0 0 0 15" into my .start_musca file implied that all groups would be padded this way.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2009-03-27 04:00:43)

#140 2009-03-27 04:06:38

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

EnvoyRising wrote:

I wasn't saying change the default padding, but rather add an option that lets you set it globally. Seems to me it would be easier to write: "set default_pad 0 0 0 15" than to have to do it for eaach group that is created.

Actually, I was under the impression that adding "pad 0 0 0 15" into my .start_musca file implied that all groups would be padded this way.

Aah ! I see what you mean now.

Forum Rules

#141 2009-03-27 04:59:32

aerosuidae

EnvoyRising wrote:

Is there a way to set default padding sol that every time I create a new group

Not specifically, but 0.9.12 includes hooks to attach commands to other commands.  In this case, you can put the following in .musca_start:

hook on add pad 0 0 0 26

This will fire off "pad 0 0 0 26" every time you execute the add command.

EnvoyRising wrote:

Is there planss to implement editing the modifier key mappings in musca_start?

Havn't decided yet.  Strictly speaking, we should use xmodmap to change things like this.  But there is another (albeit indirect) way to change key bindings en masse using the show command

$ musca -c 'silent show bindings' | sed 's/^/silent /' >keys.txt
$ sed 's/on/off/' keys.txt | musca -i
$ sed 's/Mod4/Mod1/' keys.txt | musca -i

Second step turns off all key bindings.  Third step turns them back on with the modifier you want.  The "silent " bit prevents a bunch of popup notifications while it's happening.  I guess this could be put in a script or a long exec line in .musca_start.

#142 2009-03-27 05:05:58

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Cool. I just updated to 0.9.12 and also updated the AUR package. Will be using the hook on add feature smile

Thanks aerosuidae.

Forum Rules

#143 2009-03-27 16:53:45

b3n

I'm using NVIDIA's TwinView but Musca is treating both screens as a single screen, instead of starting a group on each. I don't have this problem in other WMs such as xmonad. What should I do to fix it?

Does Musca notify the user when a window sets the URGENT hint?

Last edited by b3n (2009-03-27 16:54:24)

#144 2009-03-27 17:03:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

b3n wrote:

I'm using NVIDIA's TwinView but Musca is treating both screens as a single screen, instead of starting a group on each. I don't have this problem in other WMs such as xmonad. What should I do to fix it?

Does Musca notify the user when a window sets the URGENT hint?

Check page no 5 ..post from abstracity and Procyon. You need to disable Twinview and/or Xinerama for it to treat them as different screens or you need to define the screens in xorg

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-27 17:05:45)

Forum Rules

#145 2009-03-27 22:47:28

problemkenner

Hi I've become a very avid user of Musca and are currently setting up my system.

So there are some problems left.

How do I get a Conky (a form of statusbar at the bottom or top) overlaying all open frames?
If this is possible, is there any option to display the current outdoor temperature?

Is it possbile to use improved font types (cairo-lcd)? And if, where do I have to configure it?

How do I set an autostart, for example for nitrogen to set a wallpaper? Is there any sh file like in OB?

This are the most important problems, I hope, they could be fixed.

And once again, thanks for this great wm. smile

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-03-27 22:48:43)

#146 2009-03-27 22:54:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:

How do I get a Conky (a form of statusbar at the bottom or top) overlaying all open frames?

you need to set padding where you have your conky. Look at musca's "pad" command.

problemkenner wrote:

If this is possible, is there any option to display the current outdoor temperature?

you need a simple weather script. Search the forums, its available.

problemkenner wrote:

Is it possbile to use improved font types (cairo-lcd)? And if, where do I have to configure it?

in conky?? I do use a different set of fonts, although I have never used cairo-lcd

problemkenner wrote:

How do I set an autostart, for example for nitrogen to set a wallpaper? Is there any sh file like in OB?

I use feh to set the wallpaper in .xinitrc itself.

problemkenner wrote:

This are the most important problems, I hope, they could be fixed.

They are all "fixable" smile

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-27 22:55:51)

Forum Rules

#147 2009-03-28 04:35:21

yvonney

[Discovering MUSCA]

After working all night, doing the mid-afternoon fall-over for a nap. I get up, looked at my newfeed reader, canto, which led me to a post that had an Arch user or two in it and was about Musca.   I don't think I would have gotten all there way here in my reading, clicking, without my still, very groggyiness... though..

Being a very very loyal type, loving dwm ... I'm groggily going, wow, am I awake, or have the one or two, 'gee I wish i was skilled enough, or knew if dwm allowed this'  do openly exist in,  musca? 
thank you. I'll be thinking again, um...soon.:--)

Last edited by yvonney (2009-03-29 20:50:37)

#148 2009-03-28 13:08:20

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

succeeded at running my first wm today, Musca. First impression is very good, so far my only complaints is that xterm (i belive the terminal is xterm) is the wrong colors, hurting my eyes and that everything uses the us qwerty layout. But i guess none of that is Musca's fault =P

#149 2009-03-28 13:12:31

bgc1954

hatten wrote:

succeeded at running my first wm today, Musca. First impression is very good, so far my only complaints is that xterm (i belive the terminal is xterm) is the wrong colors, hurting my eyes and that everything uses the us qwerty layout. But i guess none of that is Musca's fault =P

See here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdefaults

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#150 2009-03-29 00:44:29

EnvoyRising

aerosuidae wrote:

Not specifically, but 0.9.12 includes hooks to attach commands to other commands.  In this case, you can put the following in .musca_start:

hook on add pad 0 0 0 26

This will fire off "pad 0 0 0 26" every time you execute the add command.

That will work perfectly. In fact, dare I say it sounds more elegant and flexible than what I was originally asking of you? Thanks.

aerosuidae wrote:

Havn't decided yet.  Strictly speaking, we should use xmodmap to change things like this.  But there is another (albeit indirect) way to change key bindings en masse using the show command

Doh, of course! I should have known this in particular, considering I use xmodmap to swap my caps lock and ctrl keys. I suppose I just was fixated on the fact that it was convenient just swithing them in config.h. Never mind this request, then.

Updating to 0.9.12...:-)
[edit]
Updating to 0.9.13. Jeez, musca makes me feel about as "behind the times" as archlinux does. Much better feeling than the "jeez this feels old" feeling I had running wmii 3.6 (hg didn't support ruby-wmii last time I checked)
+1 for arch & musca`
[/edit]

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2009-03-29 00:53:52)

Board footer