You are not logged in.

#151 2009-03-30 16:55:56

problemkenner

Re: Musca (Tiling Window Manager)

Inxsible wrote:

you need to set padding where you have your conky. Look at musca's "pad" command.

Sorry but I do not exactly understand the pad command. Can you give me an example?

Inxsible wrote:

you need a simple weather script. Search the forums, its available.

All right, I found an appropriate one. smile

Inxsible wrote:

in conky?? I do use a different set of fonts, although I have never used cairo-lcd

Not only in conky as well for the whole desktop. E.g for Obenbox you have to add the following. How does Musca handle this?

Inxsible wrote:

I use feh to set the wallpaper in .xinitrc itself.

So there's no single autostart config for Musca except the xinitrc? That would be useful in case you have more than one single program to launch.

Another question, how do you all logout, reboot or shutdown your pc? I'm doing this by terminating X and then logging in as root to reboot or shutdown.

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-03-30 16:56:46)

#152 2009-03-30 17:32:40

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:

Sorry but I do not exactly understand the pad command. Can you give me an example?

The syntax for pad is

pad <left> <right> <top> <bottom>

I have a conky with small fonts but my systray - stalonetray is of height 24, so I have padded my screen with

pad 0 0 0 24

That will leave a bar of height 24 at the bottom. although if you want it at the top you can change it. you can also add multiple pads if you want conky at the bottom but the systray at the top right or something like that. Also look into the hook command which automatically hooks one command to another. So I have

hook on add pad 0 0 0 24

That means whenever I add a group, it will automatically pad it with the given numbers so I don't have to issue a pad command every time i create a new group.

problemkenner wrote:

Not only in conky as well for the whole desktop. E.g for Obenbox you have to add the following. How does Musca handle this?

I am not sure about improving fonts specifically, but if you want to install fonts, all you have to do is add it to the .fonts directory

problemkenner wrote:

So there's no single autostart config for Musca except the xinitrc? That would be useful in case you have more than one single program to launch.

There is. Its called .musca_start. you can start any app from the file. I start my skype and my stalonetray from it. There is a slight problem with the wallpaper because, the exec commands run asynchronously, so you might have the wallpaper overridden by the default black screen that musca gives. That's the only reason I set my wallpaper in .xinitrc prior to starting musca.

problemkenner wrote:

Another question, how do you all logout, reboot or shutdown your pc? I'm doing this by terminating X and then logging in as root to reboot or shutdown.

I have aliases for reboot and poweroff like so

alias reboot='sudo reboot'
alias on=reboot
alias poweroff='sudo poweroff'
alias off=poweroff
alias shutdown=poweroff

Now I can use any of on/reboot and off/shutdown/poweroff to reboot of shutdown respectively. Of course you have to set the NOPASSWD for those commands in visudo. These do NOT work in dmenu of course, you will have to start a terminal and issue the commands.

BUT the better option is to simply assign keybindings for them. I have acpid installed and I simply hit the power button to shutdown.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-30 17:38:36)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#153 2009-03-30 17:34:52

Zmyrgel

Just found out musca and I'm pretty impressed. I might keep it as main wm from now on to test how it behaves.

Hopefully it would get same kinda configuration file as scrotwm uses. It just seems pretty pointless to configure header file directly.
I personally don't like the dwm like way of configuring as I don't want to compile my wm after each mod I make to it.
Separate configuration file would make it easier.

#154 2009-03-30 17:37:06

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Zmyrgel wrote:

Just found out musca and I'm pretty impressed. I might keep it as main wm from now on to test how it behaves.

Hopefully it would get same kinda configuration file as scrotwm uses. It just seems pretty pointless to configure header file directly.
I personally don't like the dwm like way of configuring as I don't want to compile my wm after each mod I make to it.
Separate configuration file would make it easier.

Are you using the package from AUR? You don't have to edit the config file at all.

You have a config file called .musca_start. You have to create it though. Read up on it on aerosuidae's webpage.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-30 17:37:30)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#155 2009-03-30 17:56:12

Zmyrgel

Inxsible wrote:

Are you using the package from AUR? You don't have to edit the config file at all.

You have a config file called .musca_start. You have to create it though. Read up on it on aerosuidae's webpage.

I use the downloaded source package.
I thought the .musca_start was used for other configs beyond those in config.h

#156 2009-03-30 18:38:21

problemkenner

Once again thanks for your motivation to help me Inxsible. big_smile

Could you please post your xinitrc?

My entries for feh in it does not seem to work.

And is it posible to save the config for pad (in my case pad 0 0 0 20) so that there's no need to reconfig it every time Musca starts.

#157 2009-03-30 18:53:44

Zmyrgel

Something fishy with musca and my java app. When I run my java app the drop-down menus won't work correctly. When I select file it gives me the file menu but I can't select any item from it.
My java app works just fine (as far as menus concerned) in scrotwm so I'd quess this has something to do with musca.

#158 2009-03-30 19:00:29

Procyon

@problemkenner:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

You can put pad 0 0 0 20 in .musca_start

@Zmyrgel: is it like Xine where every popup (sub)menu is actually a new window?

#159 2009-03-30 19:08:57

problemkenner

Procyon wrote:

You can put pad 0 0 0 20 in .musca_start

Ah that worked pretty well. smile
I tried pad 0 0 0 20 & - that was obviously the problem.

But I still don't understand the problem with feh. I also tried nitrogen but the same here.

My xinitrc.

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

feh --bg-center /home/problemkenner/.images/wallpaper.png  &
exec ck-launch-session musca

#160 2009-03-30 19:09:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Zmyrgel wrote:

Something fishy with musca and my java app. When I run my java app the drop-down menus won't work correctly. When I select file it gives me the file menu but I can't select any item from it.
My java app works just fine (as far as menus concerned) in scrotwm so I'd quess this has something to do with musca.

Also what version of musca are you using? This was a known bug in 0.9.6 - 0.9.8 (i think) where the pop up window would swallow the refresh command issued to it. But it has since been fixed.

Forum Rules

#161 2009-03-30 19:11:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

i just have

eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` &

I could be off on the exact syntax. I am at work on windows tongue. This will set the wallpaper that you had the last time using feh.

The other thing you could do is, simply make .fehbg executable using chmod +x and then put

sh ~/.fehbg &

in your .xinitrc

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-30 19:15:31)

Forum Rules

#162 2009-03-30 19:18:10

problemkenner

Works like a charm, thanks. smile

#163 2009-03-30 20:52:01

Zmyrgel

Inxsible wrote:
Zmyrgel wrote:

Also what version of musca are you using? This was a known bug in 0.9.6 - 0.9.8 (i think) where the pop up window would swallow the refresh command issued to it. But it has since been fixed.

Using the latest source code from the web page... I think its 0.9.13.
This makes my java development quite hard sad
...well, only poor programmers need to test or debug their programs...

Last edited by Zmyrgel (2009-03-30 20:52:42)

#164 2009-03-30 22:33:48

aerosuidae

Zmyrgel wrote:

Using the latest source code from the web page... I think its 0.9.13. This makes my java development quite hard sad ...well, only poor programmers need to test or debug their programs...

How does the java app behave in dwm?  might be related to http://dwm.suckless.org/manpage -> see paragraph #1 in the bugs section.  Musca is not a reparenting window manager either.  But, I'd expect to see a grey window and you didn't mention that.

Do you have a small test app?

Last edited by aerosuidae (2009-03-30 22:53:58)

#165 2009-03-30 22:35:14

aerosuidae

Zmyrgel wrote:

config.h just holds the default configuration.  Pretty much everything can be customized using .musca_start.

#166 2009-03-30 22:51:35

aerosuidae

problemkenner wrote:

Musca has nothing to do with fonts and it doesn't care smile  In fact, you'll notice it doesn't render text itself anywhere.  ~/.fonts.conf is for the fontconfig library, which applications are free to use as normal.

#167 2009-03-31 08:56:59

Zmyrgel

aerosuidae wrote:

How does the java app behave in dwm?  might be related to http://dwm.suckless.org/manpage -> see paragraph #1 in the bugs section.  Musca is not a reparenting window manager either.  But, I'd expect to see a grey window and you didn't mention that.

I'm aware of this case as it came apparent with Awesome and XMonad. It hasn't appeared on musca quite like it.

It seemed to be different manifestation for the same issue. I installed wmname application and used it to set wm name to LG3D and my app works as far as wm part is concerned. Otherwise is just terrible app smile

EDIT: I was too quick to cheer. I can now use my menus properly but I can't focus textfields for input at all.

If anyone wants to test my app can be downloaded at http://wickedbsd.net/QuoteDB.jar

Last edited by Zmyrgel (2009-03-31 09:12:42)

#168 2009-03-31 08:58:30

Zmyrgel

aerosuidae wrote:
Zmyrgel wrote:

config.h just holds the default configuration.  Pretty much everything can be customized using .musca_start.

Ok, good to know. I'll have to check out how to use .musca_start then.

Might as well write musca port to openbsd too. Luckily its simple app and compiles just nicely on OpenBSD too so it shouldn't need anything special to get it working.

#169 2009-03-31 13:37:55

bender02

@aerosuidae: cheers for musca! nice work, tried it out today at work, and I like it a lot. I'm probably not going to trade it for xmonad on the laptop, since I require more flexible manipulation with windows and frames on a smaller screen, but still!

#170 2009-03-31 17:52:31

problemkenner

aerosuidae wrote:

Musca has nothing to do with fonts and it doesn't care smile  In fact, you'll notice it doesn't render text itself anywhere.  ~/.fonts.conf is for the fontconfig library, which applications are free to use as normal.

Ah thank you. smile

By the way - is it normal that after the first start of musca only the area which uses pad displays the background wallpaper I configured with feh? The rest of the screen is black. After starting and closing of an app like urxvt or firefox which covers the whole screen the wallpaper is completely displayed.

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-03-31 17:53:26)

#171 2009-03-31 18:07:51

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:
aerosuidae wrote:

Ah thank you. smile

By the way - is it normal that after the first start of musca only the area which uses pad displays the background wallpaper I configured with feh? The rest of the screen is black. After starting and closing of an app like urxvt or firefox which covers the whole screen the wallpaper is completely displayed.

This has been discussed before in the thread smile
put a

sleep 1

between the setting of the wallpaper and starting of musca.
I have my .xinitrc like so

sleep 1
exec musca >> /dev/null

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-31 18:09:51)

Forum Rules

#172 2009-03-31 20:00:11

problemkenner

And like everytime the solution worked wonderful. big_smile

Last edited by problemkenner (2009-03-31 20:51:55)

#173 2009-03-31 20:52:03

problemkenner

OK I'm definitly on the home stretch. tongue

The last thing to do is to get my media keys (I don't mean the FN-Functions but external keys above my keypad) working at my laptop. They have some nice functions like increasing/decreasing/muting sound and worked out of the box with Gnome. But for sure there might be a way doing it with Musca as I know you. wink

I think I have to deal with keybindings isn't it? Could you give me a short overview how this works?

#174 2009-03-31 21:00:32

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

problemkenner wrote:

OK I'm definitly on the home stretch. tongue

The last thing to do is to get my media keys (I don't mean the FN-Functions but external keys above my keypad) working at my laptop. They have some nice functions like increasing/decreasing/muting sound and worked out of the box with Gnome. But for sure there might be a way doing it with Musca as I know you. wink

I think I have to deal with keybindings isn't it? Could you give me a short overview how this works?

In short: xbindkeys and/or musca -c bind on <keyname> <command>

would prefer the former because i think it would be cleaner and you can also use the same in any other WM, if you have them installed instead of having to manually add bindings for different WMs in their respective autostart files.

most likely the media buttons are named Xf86_Play, XF86_Stop or similar. you can find out what they are exactly by using xev and checking their names or keycodes.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-31 21:10:11)

Forum Rules

#175 2009-03-31 21:49:12

problemkenner

I see it's not as easy as I expected.

I tried exemplarily to get the key working to mute the volume. So I installed xbindkeys and checked what output gives me xev by pressing this key.

KeyPress event, serial 27, synthetic NO, window 0x1400001,
root 0x7b, subw 0x0, time 4571846, (449,564), root:(450,565),
state 0x0, keycode 121 (keysym 0x1008ff12, XF86AudioMute), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

So then I tried to configure it in my .xbindkeysrc with the following but it don't work:

XF86AudioMute
   keycode 121

What's wrong?

Board footer