You are not logged in.

#26 2008-11-13 21:33:30

moljac024

Re: Possible to tile windows in openbox?

FVWM seems to be the floating WM that is closest to achieving some form of desirable tiling.
Although you need days, maybe even weeks of reading and tinkering to configure it the way you want it.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#27 2008-11-13 22:05:56

eyolf
Website

I won't go into the debate about who's the best kisser (I'm happily snogging awesome, which deals with floating apps far better than wmii, IMHO), but ...

finferflu wrote:

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

... damn, that's a good quotation.

Gotta go -- have some files to delete.

#28 2008-11-14 00:30:46

Intrepid

Misfit138 wrote:

I love openbox; A floating WM that includes nothing.
No default wallpaper, no default panel...very few defaults at all, except sane variables to get you up and running.
Out of all tiling WM's, I have tried Awesome, but I don't think it is for me. I mainly use my Thinkpad these days for forum and wiki stuff through a web browser, and squeezing firefox3 into any which way just does not work for me...unless I am missing something. I mean, it works, but it's not very convenient to horizontally and vertically scroll though everything.
It seems like a tiling WM would work better on a widescreen.
Having said all that, if my beloved Openbox were to adopt tiling abilities, I would not complain. smile

Even though this is months later, Awesome and Xmonad (not sure about DWM) use tiling layouts so that tiling can occur to the bottom of the master window rather than the sides.  This is useful for firefox so you don't have to vertically scroll.  The usefulness of tiling comes with the need to multitask while still having plenty of viewing area for the most screen-hogging applications (e.g. firefox).  You also do not have to manually adjust applications.  If I set Evolution to run on an email tag, I can have firefox ALWAYS default as the master window and everything else adjusts almost automatically.  If I still want firefox but want to see what occurs in an IM conversation, I just activate the tag with the IM application.  Quick, efficient, and allows more work to be done.  I will admit though, for a long time I just used the GrowToEdge function in Openbox, also very efficient.  They are both good methods.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#29 2008-11-14 00:53:45

eyolf
Website

Misfit138 wrote:

Out of all tiling WM's, I have tried Awesome, but I don't think it is for me. I mainly use my Thinkpad these days for forum and wiki stuff through a web browser, and squeezing firefox3 into any which way just does not work for me...unless I am missing something. I mean, it works, but it's not very convenient to horizontally and vertically scroll though everything.

Why would you have to squeeze FF more tightly with a tiling than with a floating WM? Most of the time, I use full-screen mode in Awesome, which wouldn't be different from any other WM, regardless of screen size. As an extra bonus, you get the option to work efficiently on two or more windows side by side, AND a sane way to do so with the keyboard only.

#30 2008-11-14 03:15:19

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

eyolf wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

Why would you have to squeeze FF more tightly with a tiling than with a floating WM?

lolwut

#31 2009-03-31 18:56:19

markp1989

dunc wrote:
haench wrote:

Edit: I especially can't figure out how to use the wmavoid file to avoid i.e. conky from beeing tiled.

This had me tearing my hair out too. I've forgotten now exactly how I worked it out, but looking at my tile rc, it seems you have to include your hostname as part of conky's WM_NAME:

avoid WM_NAME Conky ($HOSTNAME)

Put it in explicitly, not as an environment variable; that's just to illustrate what I mean.

i add that, and my conky sill gets screwed up :S

Desktop: E8400@4ghz - DFI Lanparty JR P45-T2RS - 4gb ddr2 800 - 30gb OCZ Vertex - Geforce 8800 GTS - 2*19" LCD
Server/Media Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX I-E - E5200 - 4gb Ram - 2* ecogreen F2 1.5tb - 1* wd green 500gb - PicoPSU 150xt - rtorrent - xbmc - ipazzport remote - 42" LCD

#32 2009-03-31 19:33:27

brisbin33
Website

favorite app ever. stiler.  formerly known as Poor Man's Tiling WM.  works great with PekWM Fluxbox Openbox.  tile when you want, don't when you don't.  simple python script that uses wmctrl and xdotool to move windows around.  easily bound to key combos.

/sales pitch

enjoy.

edit:  holy old thread batman!

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-03-31 19:35:10)

#33 2009-03-31 21:07:13

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

another one - wumwum.
yet another one -  whaw - which was mentioned in this thread earlier.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-31 21:07:44)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer