You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-21 08:40:30

moljac024

[SOLVED]pppoe over wireless

I have a rather strange task at hand. Namely, I'm supposed to set up a pppoe connection over a wireless AP. I have no idea how this could be done, since pppoe is meant to work over ethernet (hence the name big_smile )

The reason for this, if you want to know, is that the person I'm setting it up for has that kind of network connection over at work (and there is no alternative for them). The ISP technical team doesn't know Linux, and since I'm responsible for the existance of only Linux in their laptop, the job is up to me. I should note that the laptop is running Fedora 9 but that shouldn't matter much. I've tried the pppoe-setup script and I set the interface to wlan0 but since it's meant for ethernet there isn't any option for the SSID.

[What hackery would be needed for this connection ? I'm stumped...

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-07-21 10:25:02)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#2 2008-07-21 10:24:40

moljac024

Re: [SOLVED]pppoe over wireless

Never mind, it's blatantly simple. Just a case of iwconfig wlanX -whatever parameters; ifconfig wlanX up; pppoe-start

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2009-03-31 23:48:14

MartinZ

Sorry but how did you configure pppoe? With wlanx or ethx?

All your base are belong to us

#4 2009-04-01 00:03:49

moljac024

With wlan

Board footer