You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-31 11:52:47

spoonie_aus

vsftp as a repo

Hi all out there.

Im trying to setup vsftp to make my own arch repo for the cell/ps3. I'm having a bit of trouble setting up vsftp. I was thinking if I could get an few examples to setting it up to act as a repo. Allow anonymous logins but setup a few accounts so devs can get in etc.

thanks

#2 2009-03-31 14:16:12

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: vsftp as a repo

I'd just set up an FTP directory with vsftpd, then grant SSH access for developers. That is imho the most sane setup. Authentication for FTP is in plain text so it is a possible vulnerability. SSH is still a tad safer wink.

There's nothing to be done for a repo but running

repo-add

on the directory all packages is in and placing the resulting database.tar.gz in the same directory.

It's all laid out nicely here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-04-03 12:31:44

spoonie_aus

Sorry B I really got no idea on how to set vsftp up im pritty new at this. I carnt really find a step buy setp guide to a setup. any help would be great.

Thanks

#4 2009-04-03 12:43:37

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The config file of vsftpd is heavily commented, you might want to take a look at it smile. It is pretty self-explanatory.

The man page can be enlightening too. You can choose to run it through xinetd (which allows you to set e.g. when it is active or not) or just stand-alone (which is easier to set up).

What I always do is provide subdirs for each user (if applicable) so they can have their own repository, and link those dirs into their home directory.

E.g.

$ ls /var/ftp
stijn kenneth arne
$ ls ~ -l
lrwxrwxrwx [blabla] ftp -> /var/ftp/stijn

That means that, if someone browses to ftp://site.org, one would see the three dirs listed above (anonymous read-only access). If someone ssh's in, he'll have an ftp symlink to his personal dir in the ftp root dir, so just doing e.g.

mv blabla.txt ftp/

will move blabla.txt into the /var/ftp/$user directory.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer