You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-13 20:11:54

chris_debian

SIP alternative to Skype, that can communicate with Windows.

Hi, all.

Does anyone know of a SIP (probably) alternative to the proprietary Skype?

SIP is not essential, but what is, is being able to communicate with my brother who is a Windoze user.  I believe Ekiga has a Windows port, but I'm guessing this probably pulls down huge amounts of Gnome dependencies.

Thanks,

Chris.

Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

www.whylinuxisbetter.net/

#2 2009-03-13 20:31:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: SIP alternative to Skype, that can communicate with Windows.

Most VOIP solutions can connect to other computers regardless of their OS. Ekiga and linphone are two that support more than one protocol and a number of codec families. The receiving end does not need to use these phones, they only need to be able to talk with one another.

#3 2009-03-13 20:41:06

chris_debian

Good point, skottish.  Just looking at Linphone, now.  I guess as long as the person at the other end (my brother) has a compatible client, then things are good.

Linphone= 9 megs installed.  Ekiga is 96 megs!

Cheers,

Chris.

#4 2009-03-13 20:45:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

I like linphone myself. For a long time it didn't seem like it worked, but it turns out that it just doesn't like OSSv4 on my system.

#5 2009-03-13 20:56:57

chris_debian

Just reported a typo bug and some error messages that suggest a bug, from my web cam.  Hopefully this will help the guys at Linphone.  I'll dig out my old SIP address and give it a go.  Be nice if it does file transfers, too.

Cheers,

Chris.

#6 2009-03-13 22:27:54

buttons

It would be interesting if you get this to work.  One day I tried all of the webcam-enabled alternatives for the time (wengo, ekiga, etc), and found all of them were abysmal either in windows, linux, or both.

I'm happily wedded to skype now, but it would be nice to know of an alternative.

Cthulhu For President!

#7 2009-03-14 01:52:39

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

buttons wrote:

It would be interesting if you get this to work.  One day I tried all of the webcam-enabled alternatives for the time (wengo, ekiga, etc), and found all of them were abysmal either in windows, linux, or both.

I'm happily wedded to skype now, but it would be nice to know of an alternative.

+1. I still haven't found a better alternative to Skype for voice/video.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-14 01:53:05)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2009-03-14 15:10:31

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

I guess the problem is more about the contacts you have on your list, if they use skype (or msn) then it will be hard to make them change (because most probably they will be using windows and any other programs than msn and skype are the devil and should be kept away tongue). Skype does work well for me though, both on 64bit and on 32bit, not the worst closed source app I have ever seen.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#9 2009-03-14 15:51:09

ArchArael

R00KIE wrote:

I guess the problem is more about the contacts you have on your list, if they use skype (or msn) then it will be hard to make them change (because most probably they will be using windows and any other programs than msn and skype are the devil and should be kept away tongue). Skype does work well for me though, both on 64bit and on 32bit, not the worst closed source app I have ever seen.

Yes, I agree. That's why I still have skype installed on my machine. I opted to eliminate msn from my life but eliminate skype is harder.

#10 2009-03-14 15:56:11

chris_debian

Think you may be right.

#11 2009-04-06 13:21:11

jaydoc

Does anyone know if Ekiga can be built without GNOME...? I did see a thread and some links to old AUR packages, but there doesn't seem to be anything like that currently. I am using Openbox and making my 64bit Arch Linux as minimal as I can make it, so it would be nice if I don't have to install GNOME or qt librarires just for one app... (skype needs qt, and Ekiga looks like it needs GNOME)

When browsing for this, I did see some info that said like it could be done, but that it needed a patch to the source code, or something like that. I have very little knowledge about compiling software, so I can't do it myself. Maybe, someone would be kind enough to make a PKGBUILD for it..? smile

Edit: I need a desktop publishing software, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything other than Scribus which uses qt too. so that makes it 2 apps that need qt. ooohh .. I am beginning to feel "contaminated" already..!! hmm

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-04-06 13:24:52)

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#12 2009-04-06 13:26:33

X/ax
Website

http://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Main/Download
I saw them on FOSDEM, don't really know if they scale.
So if you're still looking out, it might be worth checking out atm.

My coding blog (or an attempt at it)
Archer start page (or an attempt at it)

Board footer