You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 16:11:40

cursion

College networking causing problems on a fresh install

Hello everyone - I recently decided to make the switch to Arch and am running into a few problems ( not Arch based )

I'm not much of a network guru, but I can get my way around things. I am currently under campus internet, which uses a DHCP server. I have everything configured correctly, and can ping the server, etc. However, I cannot ping anything that falls outside of the network here, as normally in order to access the internet you would have to ( through a web browser ) log in to a web page which grants you the ability to connect outside of the network here.

I'm running off of a working fresh-install and am basically land-locked at the moment. I know my Username/Password for the network, but I have no idea on how to get that set up from the command line ( or if it's even possible. )

If anyone needs more information, let me know.

( Edit: In case it helps, my network is Ohio State University and they use ResNet )

Help very appreciated.

Last edited by cursion (2009-04-07 16:48:07)

#2 2009-04-07 18:48:02

CaptainShanks

Re: College networking causing problems on a fresh install

Welp, if you're stuck on the command line, your best alternative would be links if you need a web browser. It's packed into the Arch CD, but might be difficult to find after the install is over...

Is your wireless card working? You should be able to run:

iwlist scan

And see your college's access point.

Last edited by CaptainShanks (2009-04-07 18:48:30)

#3 2009-04-07 21:16:16

cursion

Re: College networking causing problems on a fresh install

CaptainShanks wrote:

Welp, if you're stuck on the command line, your best alternative would be links if you need a web browser. It's packed into the Arch CD, but might be difficult to find after the install is over...

I'll try reinstalling and including that package. Will update.

Edit - This worked out great. Thanks, I'm online smile

Hope everything goes well from here on out!

Last edited by cursion (2009-04-07 21:28:20)

Board footer