You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-31 06:03:16

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

[SOLVED]How do I re-install Alsa?

How would I re-install alsa to get the default configuration back? I am not getting any sound even though lspci sees my sound card. I was messing with some alsa files for an unrelated issue and now sound doesn't work. A simple

pacman -S alsa-utils alsa-lib

does not work because i guess it doesn't replace all the files.

I want a clean slate for alsa. Also I cannot un-install alsa-lib because a bunch of programs depends on it. So how can I get the default config without having to re-install Arch??

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-04-08 15:42:37)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#2 2009-03-31 06:59:56

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [SOLVED]How do I re-install Alsa?

Inxsible wrote:

A simple

It should do apart from files that get saved as .pacnew.  Check the pacman output.

#3 2009-03-31 17:55:28

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Allan wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

A simple

It should do apart from files that get saved as .pacnew.  Check the pacman output.

Well, I created some controls for MPD and software. Now I no longer use mpd, but even when I re-install alsa, and then start it up again those controls remain. Also on every reboot, the sound stops working and I have to delete the libasound files under /usr/lib and then re-install alsa-lib for it to work again.

As for the pacman output, it says nothing except giving the usual warning about re-installing an up-to-date package.

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-31 18:05:35)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-03-31 18:14:58

Ranguvar

The main ALSA files are part of the kernel package, those are just the userspace stuff. As for alsa-lib being required by stuff, 'pacman -Rd alsa-lib' 'pacman -S alsa-lib'? Or even just the latter?

Also try searching the filesystem for -iname '*alsa*'. There's a configuration file pacman tells you about in /etc/conf.d/, for example.

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-03-31 18:15:42)

#5 2009-04-01 02:32:35

wolfvorkian

Inxsible wrote:
Allan wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

A simple

Well, I created some controls for MPD and software. Now I no longer use mpd, but even when I re-install alsa, and then start it up again those controls remain. Also on every reboot, the sound stops working and I have to delete the libasound files under /usr/lib and then re-install alsa-lib for it to work again.

As for the pacman output, it says nothing except giving the usual warning about re-installing an up-to-date package.

I had a problem with alsa where I lost sound every time I rebooted on an old laptop. A solution or work around might be found at  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1059956 ....post #25

Last edited by wolfvorkian (2009-04-01 17:05:29)

#6 2009-04-08 15:43:44

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Ranguvar wrote:

The main ALSA files are part of the kernel package, those are just the userspace stuff. As for alsa-lib being required by stuff, 'pacman -Rd alsa-lib' 'pacman -S alsa-lib'? Or even just the latter?

Also try searching the filesystem for -iname '*alsa*'. There's a configuration file pacman tells you about in /etc/conf.d/, for example.

Thanks. The sound was really unpredictable. It worked for a few days and then stopped working. I used  the -d flag to get rid of alsa and alsa-lib and then re-installed. works now --- as of yet.

Forum Rules

Board footer