You are not logged in.

#26 2004-11-15 14:56:08

yanik

Re: BSD flavors

Is BSD becoming a trend?!  Seems everyone is trying out the new freebsd.  Yerterday I ordered the Handbook from freebsdmall.com to help me get started.  I'll take a good look at your page too scottro.

Yanik

# cd /pub
# man women
No manual entry for women
# more beer

#27 2004-11-15 15:27:08

scottro
Website

That's great that you ordered the handbook, it helps support the project.  You will also find the handbook in /usr/share/doc and it will be more current.  It gets updated (when they make changes) when you do a cvsup.

As for whether it's becoming a trend, I suspect that it is.  It seems that geeks go through phases, it's like, Oh, everyone does Linux, let me be different.   I'm sure that part of the reason I lost interest in Gentoo was because everyone was into it after awhile.  smile

I remember when we used LInux for what we could, then kept MS for real work. Then, Linux desktop support improved, and we began using it for most things, at that time, I had FreeBSD but was still doing most of the desktop stuff with Linux.  Then, FreeBSD's desktop improves, and we have NetBSD and keep FreeBSD for desktop, etc etc.

#28 2004-11-15 15:53:20

cereal
Website

yanik wrote:

Is BSD becoming a trend?!  Seems everyone is trying out the new freebsd.

Well I don't know wether it has to do with a trend or something. But basically it's probably because everyone who is into GNU/Linux, is going to hear about *BSD sometime and that makes it kinda interesting and Average-Linux-User maybe thinks "well, sounds cool"...
I had it (FreeBSD) installed for a few months this year and I was totally impressed. That's totally subjective, but I had the impression, that its design, documentation and stability were perfect. The only problems I had were, because I thought I could mess around with the Vinum Volume Manager without reading through the whole documentation :oops:.

So, if I needed a server OS or a standard desktop for doing some desktop and programming work and the like, I would use FreeBSD.
The only reason I switched (and fortunately found *the* linux distribution big_smile), was because of the fact, that I have fairly exotic sound hardware that I want to use. (plus jack didn't run on FreeBSD, back then)

Okay, I'm not an expert, I'm just a desktop user and wanted to present my views on FreeBSD...

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare." - (Kurtz, Apocalypse Now)

A few PKGBUILDs

#29 2004-11-15 15:54:28

bruno

I think that the  future trends of tryouts are:

Linux  -> FreeBSD (by curiosity, not for the  kernel, but for userland and documentation consistency)

Debian (after it gets a new STABLE out, because of the new installer)

FreeBSD 5.x and Linux -> NetBSD 2.0 (because of the rumors that NetBSD 2.0 has a comparable performance with Linux and DragonflyBSD, better than FreeBSD 5.x on non-SMP machines while being more mature than DragonflyBSD and still having that BSD consistency appeal that is hard to find among Linux distros)

DragonflyBSD (when a STABLE gets out)

OpenBSD and Gentoo should get the same levels of curiosity they receive now, there aren't  any ground-breaking news here, I think.

I'm not saying that people will move into these directions, only that people seem to be willing to try them out.

Personally I think NetBSD 2.0 will be the great achiever of new fans over the next year. Mature, fast, small, well documented, there's more to NetBSD than just portability big_smile
(let us hope they get NVidia drivers as well wink )

At least until Dragonfly achieve it's moment.

EDIT: http://bsd.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid … d=10745990
The rumors about NetBSD 2.0 vs FreeBSD 5.x performance.

Bruno

#30 2004-11-15 16:26:32

yanik

That's great that you ordered the handbook, it helps support the project. You will also find the handbook in /usr/share/doc and it will be more current. It gets updated (when they make changes) when you do a cvsup.

I knew it was available online, but didn't knew it was in /usr/share/doc tho.  I'm glad to help them out a little.   Anyway, I hope I will like it.  I'd like to run it on my server, but I use my server to do so many things, it'll take a while before I get enough familiar with freebsd to switch.  I'll start by just setting up a desktop and we'll see.

What got me interested in freeBSD is it's Port system and it's easy config files (that I'm told).

Yanik

# cd /pub
# man women
No manual entry for women
# more beer

Board footer