You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-12 20:21:28

yvonney

Re: ABIWORD replacement: search for light working alternative - ideas?

i love the thought that i might be able to achieve the ability to print a letter, layout an image in a document, create a pdf from it and print or email it. ALL with vim and a document language or whatever. Then of course there's a great benefit to  being able to see the font etc and move around text boxes. I guess that both are requred/attainable this year. I've learned SO much and have only installed what makes me use command line and ncurses/term apps for most things. PLUS firefox/abiword and a few others.

I am making a list for myself of things that I need to do quickly at some point each week/day/month. Currently all done slowly in the minimalist way. Like: screen shots, letter printing, create videocasts, send attachments with email, etc etc etc..... don't know if it's sensible right now to go deeper for letter printing word processing. Myself, i will try of course!

NOTE: due to the usual, being crazy busy, I confused Berticus with the author of lout. So, I googled berticus lout.
found this post from here:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52840
about engineering scientific math printing and stuff.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-04-12 20:34:47)

#27 2009-04-12 21:35:56

brebs

Berticus wrote:

Supposedly lout does't render mathematical equations as nicely as LaTeX, which is going to be a huge problem for me.

Lout doesn't seem that bad though, for equations. See chapter 7 of its "user.pdf" manual:

The @Eq symbol looks after all the details of spacing for you, and it provides several hundred mathematical symbols.

Also, "4.1. An equation formatting package" in its "expert.pdf" manual makes the point that you can define your own functions, and gives examples.

#28 2009-04-12 21:47:26

yvonney

Just a quick mention: i'm seriously considering scribus for my word processing tasks. It appears it's very light on dependencies. i'd tried scribus a few times over the past year though have just though it may fill a couple of gaps nicely. Displaying fonts, moving boxes around. different workflow though i've used DTP over the years coincidentally in place of word processors. So may be good. All the other comments here have certainly peaks interest in new areas. As always for me Scribus is currently doing the missing toolbar icons. Gonna look into that again now.

NOTE: scribus' icons show fine when I change to motif theme in prefs of scribus. I now also understand that some icons are greyed out (sort of embossed like on my sys) when not available depending on mode scribus is in.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-05-29 08:04:51)

#29 2009-04-12 23:04:59

Berticus

brebs wrote:

Lout doesn't seem that bad though, for equations. See chapter 7 of its "user.pdf" manual

Ah I see, not quite as readable as LaTeX's... I suppose it's something to look into, but they really should clean that up.

yvonney wrote:

Just a quick mention: i'm seriously considering scribus for my word processing tasks. It appears it's very light on dependencies. i'd tried scribus a few times over the past year though have just though it may fill a couple of gaps nicely. Display fonds, moving boxes around. different workflow though i've used DTP over the years coincidentally in place of word processors. So may be good. All the other comments here have certainly peaks interest in new areas. As always for me Scribus is currently doing the missing toolbar icons. Gonna look into that again now.

I'll admit LaTeX isn't perfect when you don't really know what you want. Like if you want to explore different fonts, but there are other programs which can preview fonts for you, such as xfontsel, which should already be installed. After that, it's a matter of installing fonts: http://linux.about.com/od/howtos/l/blfont9.htm

I guess text processors, such as lout and LaTeX, are more for if you know what you want, or if you have a good imagination and can visualize what you want. While WYSIWYG is more for exploring.

Board footer