You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-13 14:25:50

hbarnwheeler

Weird Issues when Internet Connection not working

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum.

This morning, my internet connection was not working (a common issue, whatever it is that requires me to restart my router.  Tubes clogged, etc etc.  I could ping it, but not get out).  Anyways, before I restarted the router and restored internet connectivity, my machine took forever to boot and start X.  During boot, it would hang at starting the CUPS daemon for a good 20-30 seconds.  Then, it would eventually start and the machine would boot to agetty.  I could log in fine, but when I typed 'startx' the machine would do nothing for about 5 seconds, and then X would start as per usual.  Note that after issuing the startx command I got no output at all to stdout until after the delay.

Question:  Why did this happen?  My best guess is that on these occasions the machine was trying to connect to the outside world, and it was only after a network timeout that things went ahead as usual.  But, that hardly makes any sense to me, for a couple of reasons.  Why would CUPS and startx try to connect to the outside? The lag in starting CUPS was considerably longer than when issuing startx.  The lag for startx did not seem long enough for a timeout.  Weird.  Any clarification would be helpful.

Last edited by hbarnwheeler (2009-04-13 14:26:25)

Board footer