You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-15 19:30:38

hypnotic_meat

Booting Straight into a Java Application

I'm trying to configure X11 so that when a user logs in, they are sent directly to a java application.  Ideally, the only thing the user will be allowed to do is interact with the java GUI and if they close the application, X11 terminates and the system reboots (assuming runlevel 5).  I've been sniffing around the wiki and the only way that I've found to modify the X11 interface is to install a display manager (which I don't want to do).  How can I set the X11 interface to be exclusively a java GUI application?

Any guidance on either how to do this or where in the documentation to look at some examples would be much appreciated!

#2 2009-04-15 19:33:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Booting Straight into a Java Application

hypnotic_meat wrote:

I'm trying to configure X11 so that when a user logs in, they are sent directly to a java application.  Ideally, the only thing the user will be allowed to do is interact with the java GUI and if they close the application, X11 terminates and the system reboots (assuming runlevel 5).  I've been sniffing around the wiki and the only way that I've found to modify the X11 interface is to install a display manager (which I don't want to do).  How can I set the X11 interface to be exclusively a java GUI application?

Any guidance on either how to do this or where in the documentation to look at some examples would be much appreciated!

you could start that java app from .xinitrc. Make sure its the last app that you start and when it gets killed, X will be killed.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-04-15 19:34:43

haxit
Website

This is kinda like what they do at some arcades. Boot up Red Hat. Boot X11 into the game. When game crashes, x crashes. Computer reboots.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#4 2009-04-15 19:43:14

Ashren
Website

Same idea as Inxsible, but start your java app like this in .xinitrc :

yourjavaapp && reboot

When your java app finishes succesfully the system will reboot.

Reboot would kill X as well. Of course you would need to set the permission correctly for reboot.

Board footer