You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-22 21:20:35

dcbdbis

Network won't start @ boot since recent hotplug update

Hello All,

The recent hotplug update rendered my network inoperable. Previous to the recent hotplug update network had no issues at all.
At boot, the network daemon is returning FAILED (in all red)

FYI: I tried the Wiki site before posting but it's down for some reason.

As root, if I manually "network start", usually it fires up, occasionally it does not, and requires a second attempt. It has never failed beyond the second attempt.

Action Taken: In the rc.conf file I removed hotplug. After reading some threads here, it looks like many of you have done the same thing. I put the required modules I know my system needs into the modules section of the rc.conf file, in the order that they are needed.

The result? No change in behaviour! I still have to login as root, and issue a "network start" to get the thing on it's feet. After that... it's smooth sailing.

I noticed in the network script itself a sleep 2 statement. I know what this does, but I wonder if the new setup that came down the wire with this AM's pacman -Syu, needs another one of these sleep statements somewhere else in the network shell script.

Suggestions and assistance is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dave Babb

#2 2004-11-22 22:33:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Network won't start @ boot since recent hotplug update

hmmm, very interesting.... let me ask you for a few things:
first, what are the stats on your machine - if it's slower, it *is* possible that the module isn't fully probed at the time of the network request.
second, post your full rc.conf here
third, after boot when the network is still down, paste the output of "ifconfig -a" here.
finally, after the network fails, try pinging something before you issue a network start again - it is possible that the script may be failing at some minor part while still starting the network (this would be due to permissions on some files/dirs most likely... perhaps the dhcp pid/cache files???)

#3 2004-11-23 00:26:03

dcbdbis

first, what are the stats on your machine - if it's slower, it *is* possible that the module isn't fully probed at the time of the network request.

SuperMicro dual 2Ghz Xeons, 400Mhz front side bus, 1gb of ram

second, post your full rc.conf here

#
# /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux
#

#
# Localization
#
# HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime"
# TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo
# KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
# CONSOLEFONT: fount in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-us)
# USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages
#
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE=US/Mountain
KEYMAP=us
CONSOLEFONT=
USECOLOR="yes"

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="no"

#
# Networking
#
HOSTNAME="Dave"

#
# Module to load at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a module with a ! to disable it)
#
MODULES=(parport parport_pc lp mii eepro100 matrox_w1 usbcore ohci_hcd ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbhid soundcore snd snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_seq_device snd_rawmidi snd_mpu401_uart snd_pcm snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss )

#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   (prefix an interface in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it)
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
# eth0="eth0 67.143.249.22 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast 255.255.255.255"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   (prefix a route in ROUTES with a ! to disable it)
#
#gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it)
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng crond network cups)

# End of file

third, after boot when the network is still down, paste the output of "ifconfig -a" here.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:48:11:96:21 
          BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1052 (1.0 Kb)  TX bytes:2950 (2.8 Kb)
          Interrupt:16 Base address:0x2000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:300 (300.0 b)  TX bytes:300 (300.0 b)

sit0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-31-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 
          NOARP  MTU:1480  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

finally, after the network fails, try pinging something before you issue a network start again - it is possible that the script may be failing at some minor part while still starting the network (this would be due to permissions on some files/dirs most likely... perhaps the dhcp pid/cache files???)

ping fails to anyone. It responds with "Network is Unreachible"

Remember, when I log in as root, from the console, and issue a "network start", the network then fires up and operates normally.

Thanks for your help.

Dave.................

#4 2004-11-23 01:41:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dcbdbis wrote:

SuperMicro dual 2Ghz Xeons, 400Mhz front side bus, 1gb of ram

sweet jebus....

dcbdbis wrote:

MODULES=(parport parport_pc lp mii eepro100 matrox_w1 usbcore ohci_hcd ehci_hcd uhci_hcd usbhid soundcore snd snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_seq_device snd_rawmidi snd_mpu401_uart snd_pcm snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss )

well, it may or may not be affecting your network performance, but I'm pretty sure you don't need all these modules.
try just:

MODULES=(eepro100 matrox_w1 ohci_hcd ehci_hcd snd_intel8x0 snd_pcm_oss)

most of those module will be autoloaded by other modules (snd-intel-8x0 will load all the other snd modules, same with the usb ones, and you don't need parport unless you're using the parallel port)

dcbdbis wrote:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:48:11:96:21 
          BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1052 (1.0 Kb)  TX bytes:2950 (2.8 Kb)
          Interrupt:16 Base address:0x2000

hmmm well, at first glance I'd say your dhcp is failing... try "rm /etc/dhcpcd/*" as root then reboot

are you shutting down cleanly? it's possible that dhcp files may be floating around.... I dunno...

#5 2004-11-23 04:01:00

dcbdbis

But of course.... Only clean shutdowns!

I did clean up the module line, and like you suspected... there was no change in behavior...

The screwy thing is that if I "network start" manually... it usually fires, that is about 75% of the time. Sometimes I have to smack it twice..

Question:

In the network script in the /etc/rc.d tree...... is there a place I can insert another sleep statement? Specifically, once it's asked for an IP, then I want the system to wait a little longer before puking...

I use a wireless device (I live rural) and there might be a timing issue external to Arch that I may need to tweak for.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave..............

#6 2004-11-23 15:29:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ah, I see - that makes sense... but wait a sec... is eth0 wireless... or is your connection to the internet wireless?

i would edit the network script directly for now and muck with the sleep in there - see if you can fix it that way, it most likely has to do with delay over wireless...

#7 2004-11-23 16:30:56

dcbdbis

I'm connected through my eth0 device through a hard wired  conventional ethernet cable to my wireless access point mounted on the outside of the house pointed @ Mt. Pisgah (behind Pikes Peak). The access point provides my dhcp with 25 IP's, and I'm handled as a sub-net off of my ISP main net pool of IP's.

Of interest to note:

My daughter is also running ArchLinux. I have NOT upgraded the latest hotplug series of stuff, and her network remains fully operational at boot up.

As far as tweaking the network script..... I'm not intimate with ifconfig, nor the cryptic grep symbologies coming after it.

I'd really need help and assistance with where to put the sleep statement in the network script to allow for more time for dhcp to respond.

My nest step (you knew this was coming) is to look at my daughters network script, and see where it is differernt from mine......and if they are dfifferent, I'm, just going to copy hers over mine (after making a backup of the original)

If they are the same.............I'm going to consume a beer and scratch my head...

Thanks!

Dave..................

#8 2004-11-23 17:19:04

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

your daughter uses arch linux? is she single? just kidding...

yeah check for differences... when I get a chance I'll check the network script to let ya know where to put the sleep command...
I normally ssh into my laptop, but it appears the power just died - the power cord is loose and it loses connection alot... need to go buy some solder

#9 2004-11-23 21:18:25

zezaz
Website

dcbdbis wrote:

My daughter is also running ArchLinux. I have NOT upgraded the latest hotplug series of stuff, and her network remains fully operational at boot up.
(...)
I'd really need help and assistance with where to put the sleep statement in the network script to allow for more time for dhcp to respond.

Hi dcbdbis,

i have the same problem (no network since the last hotplug update) at work, on a Dell PC connected to the network through an ethernet card (e1000) using DHCP. From what i remember though, the network start script does not show a red FAILED at boot - but it does fail. Like you, everything is OK after a /etc/rc.d/network restart once logged in.

A quick fix for me was to come back to the previous version of hotplug, something like that:

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hotplug-2004_09_23-1.pkg.tar.gz

I would like to provide more informations on these failures, but i could not find the hotplug logs (and the problem exists only at work for me). From the hotplug script sources, it looks like hotplug uses /usr/bin/logger with no facility parameter, so it should log to the 'user' syslog facility.

To sum up, more investigation is needed! The sad thing is  i miss time for such investigations at the moment sad

#10 2004-11-23 21:44:02

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Hi Dave,

It's possible that the DHCP request is timing out.  By default, the network script calls dhcpcd with a 10-second timeout.  You can adjust this by editing /etc/rc.d/network and changing the timeout.

# 60-second timeout
/usr/sbin/dhcpcd -t 60 -h $HOSTNAME $1

I'll have some dhcp options in the proper location (/etc/conf.d or rc.conf) soon.

#11 2004-11-24 04:00:10

dcbdbis

I did my pacman -Syu tonight, and along came a new dhcp and new init scripts.

While the network now shows it's ok, in reality it isn't. Can't ping a soul, and still need to manually do a network start....

Seeing that I'm on a subnet, and am assigned a fixed pool of 25 IP's, I waitied until dhcp had done it's job correctly, copied down the information in the dhcp*.info file, and went static IP............

Of course the appropriate changes to the gateway statement in the rc.conf, and the appropriate entries in the resolv.conf file...

Whatever is causing the dhcp issue, it can wait a while until I can sink my teeth in a little deeper.

I APPRECIATE everyone's help.........

If there are further suggestions, I'd be more than happy to comment out my static stuff, and give another go..... But no one else seems to be having this problem... so it must be system specific.

HINT:::: After the initial sucessfull dhcp, ifconfig shows that my eth0 device is there..... wait about one minute and run it again, and eth0 disappears :!:  :?:

Bizarre.................

But it doesn't stop me from working......

Thanks Again!

Dave..................

#12 2004-11-24 05:33:09

dcbdbis

Hello All,

Performed a pacman -Syu on my daughters PC this eve.....

Network suffered no ill effects. dhcp performing as it should. No issues.

We both have onboard eepro100 cards...???

As a static IP, I have no issues either. I can only assume that something's up with my card, or my config.

Also curious, she's running an original label Intel MB, w/ 2 Ghz P4, I'm running a Supermicro dual 2ghz Xeon system. SHe's got 512mb of ram, I have 1gb.

We share the same hub, and the same wireless connection.

On download's be that pacman -Syu's, or other stuff.....she is faster than me by at least 25%?!

It's not worth issuing over, as my performance is now stable (as static IP), and still fast as far as I am concerned.

Now compiling? I maintain a 12 million lines of C++ propretary code  specific to Carrier..... I can kick butt and just flat haul some serious timber compiling over Katia's (my daughter).... But the network?

Well at this point, lets just consider it a curiosity at worst!

Thanks again for the help!

Dave.............

#13 2004-11-24 06:54:50

zezaz
Website

apeiro wrote:

I'll have some dhcp options in the proper location (/etc/conf.d or rc.conf) soon.

Thank you for this change, it is a good thing!

I will try the timeout trick today, however one possibility is that the device is not present when dhcp sends its broadcast on it, so i am not sure that waiting more could help in that case. But it is worth trying smile

I will try to generate logs with hotplug too. I don't have enough time to really inspect them deeply at the moment, but i believe that the truth is there smile

#14 2004-11-24 20:32:31

zezaz
Website

I made some tests today.

- after a pacman -Syu today everything is OK now. Many thanks!  big_smile
- the key change seems to be the default dhcpcd timeout (so you were right apeiro smile ). To verify this, i changed back the timeout to 10s: no network at boot.
- funnily the network start script did not print FAILED even if it did fail in that case
- i am subject to the "shpchp error" messages at boot when hotplug starts. Thus, interestingly,  hotplug takes more than 10s to start.

So what i am inclined to think now is that the shpchp errors cause a longer hotplug startup, which lasted longer than the dhcpcd timeout.

Board footer