You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-24 03:14:41

thoffmeyer

Re: My i'm new to linux thread

Goddard wrote:

Is something wrong with pacman ?  I was attempting go setup my x and install pacman -S libgl and it connects and asks me if i want to proceed with install then when i push y and wait it comes up with a error and says it couldnt go through with the install something went wrong.

I went through the guide and did everything except for the sound install and sudo.

Post the output of "pacman -S libgl"..

And welcome to Linux, and Arch Linux!

#27 2009-04-24 04:28:53

Goddard
Website

I have it on another system and cant paste the exact output but it says it failed to retrieve files from core and says since it got a error will stop its current task basically.

I did a fresh install and did nothing but what was in the beginners guide in the wiki.  Did I need to edit some configuration file?

#28 2009-04-24 05:38:10

MattSmith

Hmmm well the first thing that comes to mind is that you are not connected to the internet. Remember if you have not installed something to automatically connect you, you will have to bring up the interface and dhcp every time you boot.

i.e

ifconfig eth0 up

then dhcpcd again...

like a user stated earlier you may want to install wicd or netcfg (i love netcfg)

oh and read through this:
http://www.ss64.com/bash/

This is arch, and you will have to know most of these commands to get things working properly. Keep in mind arch has a very steep learning curve especially if you're new to linux. I recently switched to arch from ubuntu, after using ubuntu off and on for about a year, and at first I thought arch was tough, but after a week tinker I decided I would never go back! There is nothing wrong using a beginners distro, like ubuntu or OpenSuse... check distrowatch.com for more information on the various GNU/linux distro's

You way want to start fresh as someone already said... print the beginners guide and fallow it step by step, and pay real close attention.

All that being said, welcome to arch!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

-John Keats

#29 2009-04-24 05:49:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

Goddard wrote:

..it comes up with a error ... something went wrong.

Nobody can help you unless you provide details.

#30 2009-04-24 17:19:24

Goddard
Website

I provided all the details the os did about the error if you read the message my friend.  I also do have a internet connection, and made sure they were connected using the dhcpcd eth0 command.

It is telling me it is having a error trying to get files from "core" and since it had that error it is stopping the download and it says that no matter what I do.

I followed the guide and that's all.

#31 2009-04-24 17:53:46

Nezmer
Website

Did you uncomment a mirror in '/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist' ?
Can you 'pacman -Syy' ?

Last edited by Nezmer (2009-04-24 17:54:32)

English is not my native language .

#32 2009-04-24 17:58:54

u_no_hu

To quote our #archlinux irc bot

<phrik> Post the _exact_, _verbatim_ error message. Paraphrasing, reciting from memory, or
              otherwise being vague will earn you a swift boot to the head.

Without knowing that, as a suggestion you can try using a different mirror and  pacman -Syy

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#33 2009-04-24 18:19:21

pseudonomous

With 95% confidence this is your problem:

You're trying to download packages right?  But you didn't update the list of packages, so you're trying download an OLD package that's no longer  on the server, so of course your downloads are failing.

Give this a try:

pacman -Sy

This should update your package list, and you should be able to install/upgrade packages agian.  Advice:  Always regularly refresh your package list (even if you don't update)

I'm going to make another suggestion:

You're jumping in feet first and trying to learn linux I(MHO the right way), but you're going to run into a lot obstacles along the way, and you're not going to be able to depend on having your computer actually work for any given task until you have a better idea of what you're doing, which could take weeks.  For this reason, I hope you've either got another computer you can use, or that you are dual-booting to an operating system you are more comfortable with using.  Don't give up, but don't expect that you'll get to a point where things will magically "just work" anytime soon ... or ever, arch is not designed to make things work without some degree of effort on the part of the end-user to configure things, and software updates may require user intervention to reconfigure programs as well.  If you want an operating system that you can configure once and largelly forget about for 3 years, you should consider using Ubuntu LTS or Debain stable instead.

And a few more gernal suggestions for learning linux:

1) man is the single most useful unix command in existence, want to know how any decent program works?  type "man program", read the page, press "q" to quit.
2) Find some basic tutorials on linux / unix and go through them if you haven't already, I know that this may seem like an artificial way to learn know, but it will come in handy later.
3) If stuff breaks, it probably writes error output, 95% of the time, you can search for the error output in Google and find relevant results on the first two pages, most of the time, you don't need to look for arch specific solutions, a solution to a problem on debian, for example, might well work on arch, you just have to translate some file locations, and replace "apt-get" commands with "pacman" commands.
4) Get a text-html browser like links or elinks, this way if you break your Xserver then you'll still be able to seach the arch wiki and post on the forums.

#34 2009-04-24 18:48:28

Goddard
Website

Everyone isn't listening to me.  I am not saying I didn't do something wrong, but I did update the packages.  I went through the guide almost verbatim.  I don't know how to post information from different computer exactly because I am on a one monitor one mouse and keyboard setup.  And no my friend I didn't uncomment a mirror list.  I used the default and prior to the update of the whole system using "pacman -Syu" pacman worked great.  I also updated my package list before doing the whole update.  Again I followed the guide.  I appreciate the help and I will write the exact error for you.

#35 2009-04-24 23:22:41

mcmillan

And no my friend I didn't uncomment a mirror list.

This may be the problem. A couple weeks back the default mirrorlist changed so instead of having the archlinux server uncommented and listed first (which was throttled) it now doesn't have any mirrors uncommented. Take a look at /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlists to make sure you have at least one mirror without a # at the start of a line.

Board footer