You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-22 21:13:26

mythus
Website

[SOLVED!] Setting up Fluxbox, need some help with a few issues.

Greetings,

I am currently setting up fluxbox, and am definitely enjoying it, especially the tab function, really nice. After following wikis and articles all over, I have it all pretty much done, but I am still having trouble in a few areas.

1.) Wine Programs
Despite my searching and trial & error, I have yet figured out how to get my wine programs to work in the flux menu. I am editing the menu by hand, not with a gui, and everything I've tried doesn't work. I have tried the following...

[exec] (wine) {wine}
[exec] (Heroes 4) {heroes4}
[exec] (Heroes 4) {heroes4.exe}
[exec] (Heroes 4) {~/.wine/Drive C/Programs/3D0/Heroes of Might and Magic 4/heroes4.exe}

...and similar with both wine and that particular wine ran game.

2.) A Weather Applet
Coming from KDE4.2, one of the things I would like to have is a good weather applet that shows at least current weather and conditions and a 3 day forecast, in Fahrenheit. I have tried to get the gdesklets weather applet to work (even with the patch), but it won't load the location. Screenlets work, but it shows the fluxbox window deco around it, and I don't want that. I have tried getting it to load up in slit, but I must be misunderstanding what slit does and doesn't do. I have tried to get adesklets to work, but it laughs at me. So any help with this would be appreciated

3.) Some alternative programs
Well I got sonata set up already, and coming from a long time use of amarok, I must say I am pleasantly impressed. I already use firefox and pidgin. However I need some recomendations on other programs to replace the kde-heavy ones, if possible. If not, I can continue to use them, but I'd like to try something else with fluxbox lol.

email: I would like for a client that has at least the basic functions and systray support.
text editor: Something similar to kate
file manager: Something at least similar to dolphin

Thanks in advance for any and all help/suggestions/advice/etc...

Last edited by mythus (2009-04-25 01:13:57)

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#2 2009-04-22 21:41:42

kraluk

Re: [SOLVED!] Setting up Fluxbox, need some help with a few issues.

AD.1.

You should try this one:

[exec] (app_name) {wine "/app/location/app.exe"}

For example:

[exec] (Window) {wine "/home/lukasz/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/window.exe"}

And it works wink

Last edited by kraluk (2009-04-22 21:42:01)

#3 2009-04-22 21:46:57

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

mythus wrote:

email: I would like for a client that has at least the basic functions and systray support.
text editor: Something similar to kate
file manager: Something at least similar to dolphin

email : check out mutt - which is CLI based.
text-editor -- try any one of gvim, scite, geany, bluefish, mousepad, leafpad (this is the bare minimum in text editors)
file manager  -  pcmanfm, thunar, rox

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2009-04-22 22:01:18

mythus
Website

Thanks so much kraluk! That worked! You wouldn't believe how many times I banged my head trying to figure that one out....

Thanks for your suggestions Inxsible. I'll look into them. Some of those text editors I'd never heard of, but I am familiar sort of with bluefish. I wonder, do any of those file managers allow for split and single pane (ie you can split the pane when needed or have single pane when not). I know pcmanfm doesn't, but it allows for terminal opening and such in the manager. I don't know anything really about thundar, so I'd have to look into it. Rox, that one seemed a bit, odd to operate, I was missing my tree when I looked at it last.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#5 2009-04-22 22:08:37

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

mythus wrote:

Thanks so much kraluk! That worked! You wouldn't believe how many times I banged my head trying to figure that one out....

Thanks for your suggestions Inxsible. I'll look into them. Some of those text editors I'd never heard of, but I am familiar sort of with bluefish. I wonder, do any of those file managers allow for split and single pane (ie you can split the pane when needed or have single pane when not). I know pcmanfm doesn't, but it allows for terminal opening and such in the manager. I don't know anything really about thundar, so I'd have to look into it. Rox, that one seemed a bit, odd to operate, I was missing my tree when I looked at it last.

pcmanfm has the tree structure and although no split panes, it does have tabbed windows, if that helps.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2009-04-22 22:16:22

mythus
Website

Thanks, the tabbed interface is really trivial in fluxbox as everything can be tabbed. However I will look into it and decide which I like best.

#7 2009-04-23 02:30:48

joaca_rj

I suggest using conky to display weather information on the desktop, and a lot of other useful stuff, like network info, processes, etc.... search in the forums, there are plenty of configuration examples.... specially in the openbox "share desktop"....
emelfm2 is a light filemanager, very, very tweakable, that displays two panes by default, but can hide the panes, the output (where he "speaks") and the command line....Very nice indeed...

#8 2009-04-23 03:46:17

mythus
Website

I will definetly check into emelfm2! It sounds like what I am looking for.

I am not big on displaying everything and the kitchen sink on my desktop. I never choose sysinfo gadgets and plasmoids and the like. Realy the only info I am ever interested in is weather, a forecast, and maybe net speed lol. But I will look into conky and see just what I can do with it. It seems like it may be the only choice for getting my weather lol. Screenlets have to show that darn window frame, and the gdesklet weather app laughs at me.

Thanks though for your suggestions! I am most interested in emelfm2.

#9 2009-04-23 17:27:47

mythus
Website

Greetings,

Here's some updates on my progress.

Thanks to the conky screenshot thread, I have managed to put together a decent conky that shows me my weather and the next few days temperature wise. So that solves #2.

Kraluk's suggestion solved issue #1.

As for the other apps, I am still finding myself using dolphin. Nothing seems as.. natural yet to me. Emelfm2 is powerful and highly customizable, however it is a change to what I am used to using, and would have to retrain myself in that aspect. Plus it crashed on me three times when trying to delete multiple files (deleting one at a time worked, but slow). ROX worked in that regards, but I didn't have my 'tree' I have in dolphin, or a defined location bookmarks like in emelfm2. I think however the bookmarks issue could be solved, I just have to do it lol. I am not sure yet though if it lets me do dual pane as well as emelfm2 does. PCManFM2 doesn't do dual pane, but it has lot of other useful features such as opening terminal and opening in root. However it keeps crashing any time I enter /usr/share/applications/, which I was doing a lot of when building my menu...

I am using leafpad atm for text editing, replacing kate with it.

I can't find anything that works better for me for email than kmail, so I may keep that. I am interested in the Spicebird project, but it needs more work and the minimize to systray plug in for it and for thundarbird doesn't work... Claws is nice, but no systray option that I found. Balsa is also nice, but no systray. I 'tried' mutt... but I suppose I ain't ready for the whole cli application yet lol. I do still cling to some gui for everyday tasks, just not for maintaining my pc.

So for the most part, I think I have a nice working fluxbox environment. I think I am going to keep this for the long haul, but I may try out pekwm some next month. Saw some nice screenshots on it lol.

#10 2009-04-25 01:19:06

mythus
Website

Greetings,

I am marking this as solved. Now that I got my conky up how I want it, it solves the weather issue, and Kraluk solved my wine menu issue.

The alternate programs are going to be a choice matter, and I suppose I will be trying them all out for some time until I can decide what I like best. However thanks for the suggestions guys, some of them I've never heard of, and it was helpful!

Just a side note, I am really loving my fluxbox setup now. I went and peaked on my kdemod4 session.. but found myself trying to group windows and such, and got frustrated with it lol. Fluxbox however is working out like a charm. Sad to say I'm enjoying it much more than I did lxde or plain open box, simply because I love the grouping windows, the easy to make and configure system, and having some decorative windows (something openbox lacks which I suppose makes me not a minimalist lol).

Board footer