You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-27 11:27:32

tmadhavan

Linux to Windows XP VNC/Remote desktop

Lo all, how's it goin.

I'm in Cardiff Uni and my gf is in Notts, and occassionally manages to cock her laptop up. Of course then it's my fault for liking computers, so I usually have to fix it. Now, it's kinda tricky seeing as I don't go up there too often, so I was wondering about solutions for remote desktop.

I'm aware there are ways to do this, I've just been looking for some info. Just wondering if there are some easy steps to follow so that I can connection from my comp, through a proxy, to my gf's Windows machine in Notts.

Is VNC the way to go, or are there some other ways? (I've never used VNC or anything like that before, btw). Installing linux on the laptop to connect to remotely isn't out of the question, but I'm hoping for some solution where I can directly control my gf's windows desktop from here.

Any ideas? Much appreciated.
Thom

#2 2004-11-27 11:32:36

shlo

Re: Linux to Windows XP VNC/Remote desktop

WAAAAAAY SLOW! There is no reason why you can't, just get a VNC server on her end and a client on yours, aim the client at the servers IP and it should all work. But it is gonna crawl.

#3 2004-11-30 16:39:16

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

i would maybe look into running an ssh server on her end.  Or else you can open the port and just rdesktop to her IP... but it's probably not public... who knows...

#4 2004-12-01 01:50:05

sud_crow
Website

Hi,
I use it everyday to link my self to my work PC and also from my workstation to the other PCs in the office, here is how:

First, if she doesnt have a static IP, go to www.dyndns.org and sign up for an account. Also, download a client (from the clients section in the site), i like DynDNS-Updater, this app will keep the IP associated with the adress you just signed for.

Second, go to www.tightvnc.org , the best VNC (and multiplataform) server/client i know.

Third, you will have to guide your girlfriend to install TightVNC, i recommend you to install it somewhere (in windows) to see how to guide her through the menus. Here, when you almost completed the installation, you have the option to set TightVNC as a system service and to load at startup, make sure she checks this if you plan to connect often or dont want to make her launch the server everytime there is a problem, also as system service you would have total access at any moment.

Fourth, you should check the (windows) configuration screen to guide her through the process of setting this thing up, choose good, tricky passwords, if possible, include symbols. Also, check she allows loopback connection --i use it to test and that kind of stuff, maybe you dont need it thought--, and if you dont plan to access through a browser (java enabled), to disable the 5800 port listening. Also make sure to check the box to disable wallpaper on client connect to save bandwidth. Also, check the options in the client (man vncviewer) to see how to set the fastest settings.

Fifth, check she has the 5900 (or the port you choose to set TightVNC to listen) cleared in her firewall.

Thats it!
Then you go:
]$ vncviewer mygirlfriend.dyndns.org
enter the password and you are all set!

I hope it doesnt sound to complicated, coz it isnt at all!

Success!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#5 2004-12-01 06:18:12

shlo

sud_crow wrote:

Aaw, no Mac OS X support. I wonder if it would compile...

#6 2004-12-01 07:16:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

mac os X has
chicken of the vnc..
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2004-12-01 07:39:38

shlo

cactus wrote:

mac os X has
chicken of the vnc..
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

I have used chicken, its a little not feature rich but it is the best option available.

#8 2004-12-01 16:38:54

Murac

is it possible to do the exact opposite and say, run my linux box at home from my windows system at school?

#9 2004-12-01 19:23:05

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sure, if your school allows you to install software. VNC can work both ways..
there is also a nomachineNX client for windows I believe.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#10 2004-12-02 00:39:41

Murac

they are personal laptops so we all can do whatever we want...despite the firewall...i'll jsut have to hope the port isn't blocked...but yeah, is tightvnc the best choice for the linux side or no?

#11 2004-12-02 02:53:12

sud_crow
Website

At least for me, it is...

Its an active project, its multiplataform, its easy, its has customizable image compression, can run it as a system service... what else can you ask for?
wink just give it a try... there are others too: realvnc, vnc (the original, from AT&T), and some comercial versiones who have a reduced version for free.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

Board footer