You are not logged in.

#1 2004-12-02 12:56:34

Murac

tightVNC connection problems!

hmm, i was asking about it in another thread recently but thought i'd start a new one for the sake of a higher chance that someone sees it, plus it's a new problem smile

So, i installed tightvnc on both linux and windows. i was playing around with it on linux (since that's the problem side) and conlucded that "vncserver" is all i need to do on this side, it said something about changing the startup script to fix the font path but other than that it open a new xserver on ":1" Now, i  figure that i'd probably need to unblock the port, but not seeing any specification i enabled a random one, recorded my ip on a piece of paper and went to school. Now, as i am trying it i am failing continuisly. In the vncviewer for windows i DID see that the default port was 5900 so i will try that tomorrow but is there something else that could have gone wrong? the command i entered was xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx AND xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1 AND xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5050 AND xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1::5050 (jsut to see wink

oh, i just realized, is it possible that my school's network is blocking me? If so, how can i check? Portscanner? I know my computer is on on the other end because I pinged it but it could be locally blocked from school? I'll try that now, but thanks in advance.

#2 2004-12-02 13:58:26

Pajaro

Re: tightVNC connection problems!

can you browse internet in your school? then you will probably have access using port 80.

#3 2004-12-02 14:58:33

Murac

Re: tightVNC connection problems!

can multiple programs se the same port?

EDIT: i found a port scanner, and when i scan my computer i should scan 127.0.0.1 right? well, the result came with 135,445,and 1070 being free...did i do something wrong because i don't think ALL ports are blocked on the network here

Board footer