You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-04 19:17:39

peque

What's the best way to automount DVD and networksharing?

Hey Guys.

Just a Question - to hear if its possible to make it work ?

I have through time build a little MythTV setup on ArchLinux.
And - damn I'm happy with it.
The only remaining problem I've got now - is how to share the DVD on the network. Since I'm using powersaving frontends, I have no DVD for playing DVD's. And since I got kids and A LOT cartoons, I would be glad to make this works perfectly.

I've tried to make it work using NFS - I've discovered some lacking in the picture and sound when playing DVD's.
I've tried with samba, and got actually a happy solution, BUT there's a problem that I needing to make happend automaticly.
1. Automount the DVD after inserting it into DVD-drive. Also umount the drive when pushing the buttom on the drive.

2. I shalll now restart samba after inserting the dvd - Isn't it possible that the drive is dicovered automaticly after mounted in the directory: ??? allso when finished playing the DVD - I need to stop samba before I can umount the DVD - Is it possible to avoid stopping samba for umounting the DVD ?

3. How is it possible to make this action automaticly when inserting a DVD or pushing a button on the frontend that starts it all using a shellscript or so?

Mostly becaurse I'm thinking about hidding the server in a special place and have a DVD shared from a external/internal device? So this action should happen automaticly after inserting the DVD - that its accessable on the network - and removed when pushing the button on the drive?

Let me here a little about the your experiences with this problem. I've tried the wiki about getting autofs to make it work - but here's my solution for now

TIA
P

Last edited by peque (2009-06-04 19:19:14)

Just getting better .... All the time

#2 2009-06-04 19:45:10

zenlord
Website

Re: What's the best way to automount DVD and networksharing?

I'm by no means an experienced linux user, but I have come across a program using 'inotify' - it can be set up to watch a directory and scan for changes. This could help you out to automatically feed the contents of the dvd to your mythtv-setup.

Hmm, now I'm typing this I feel a little insecure if this helps you out in any way... I'll just post it - maybe it is of some use...

#3 2009-06-05 05:11:19

peque

Thanks - I'll give it a try.

But the problem is actually mounting / umount the disc without having to stop samba sharing.
And at the same time - discover the DVD contents after inserting the DVD in the MBE - on the clients.

But Now it's a problem with the automount to the dir - and afterwards umount the DVD without having to stop Samba.

#4 2009-06-06 21:40:54

Gen2ly
Website

Yikes, all this can be done in /etc/fstab!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#5 2009-06-07 04:01:03

peque

The automount of the drive from fstab - yes - and have no problems on the frontends.

But when inserting a DVD - you'll need to mount -a to mount the see the contents of the dvd - (if this can automaticly be disvovered by fstab - please tell me - I cannot see it)

And again afters wards - when finishing the DVD - when pressing the buttom - eject - It's says the device is busy.
You'll need to stop samba - carse its samba that uses the device. After stopping samba - no problem with umounting the device.
Again . please guide me in the rigth way - to make this happen automaticly!

Board footer