You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-08 20:23:53

CaptainKirk

Re: [SOLVED] Considering Arch

methuselah wrote:

If you have configured all of your conf files properly, added a display manager like SLIM if you needed one, and have configured the ~./xinitrc to use whatever method you will be logging in with, then you should be able to reboot and log into a perfectly working xfce4 desktop using firefox on Arch.

You may have missed my last post, but I have X working now with Xfce4. The only issue was that I required hal. Without that X executes but there's no keyboard nor mouse and I must hard reboot. sad

#27 2009-06-08 20:46:49

methuselah

CaptainKirk wrote:
methuselah wrote:

If you have configured all of your conf files properly, added a display manager like SLIM if you needed one, and have configured the ~./xinitrc to use whatever method you will be logging in with, then you should be able to reboot and log into a perfectly working xfce4 desktop using firefox on Arch.

You may have missed my last post, but I have X working now with Xfce4. The only issue was that I required hal. Without that X executes but there's no keyboard nor mouse and I must hard reboot. sad

Sorry, I just read the first 3-5 posts and then clicked 'reply'. Now I feel blind considering I posted directly below your last post.... Anyways, for a very fast install try the FTP way next time.

Last edited by methuselah (2009-06-08 21:05:06)

#28 2009-06-08 22:59:51

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

CaptainKirk wrote:

Although it took one hour to figure out that I needed hal.

fukawi2 wrote:

...recommending trying to use that first before fiddling with a conf file (start hal and dbus, then start X without /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

I tried to tell you tongue

#29 2009-06-08 23:05:38

cptr13

I have to coomment on this.  And this is only my second arch post.  I also have to preface this comment so I don't get flamed to death tongue
First off...I LOVE arch....LOVE IT.  I am literally a compulsive distro hopper.  I am on arch now two weeks straight, I usually rotate through about two distros a week, but I have Arch runnning perfect and I jsut dont want to risk losing that tongue

Now, having said that

I do NOT think ARCH is easy for a beginner.  I do think it's doable, jsut like any distro if you're willing to take the time to read the wiki, forums etc.  I've installed Arch no less than ten times now and I can jsut about get through it from memory and it never even comes close to twenty minutes.  Probably 40ish is best for me.  The first install attempt I didnt even get through....the first successful one took me about three hours.  It's not an easy distro.  It's easy to forgett that after using it a while though smile

If you're loooking for easy...use Ubuntu..if you're willing to do the initial work, and read and resolve issues....Arch is way better IMO.  It flys and it's not loaded down with crap.  It's a beautiful thing.

my two cents..

#30 2009-06-08 23:11:03

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

And I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you... Certainly not in this thread anyway smile

#31 2009-06-09 09:28:21

CaptainKirk

fukawi2 wrote:
CaptainKirk wrote:

Although it took one hour to figure out that I needed hal.

fukawi2 wrote:

...recommending trying to use that first before fiddling with a conf file (start hal and dbus, then start X without /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

I tried to tell you tongue

The thread was so long and I was so involved in the process and I was nervous and, umm, uh, there are other excuses also.

Next time you need to post the GOOD ADVICE in gigantic red flashing letters please. Then I will listen. smile

#32 2009-06-09 16:11:19

windtalker

Arch isn't impossible for a totally new Linux user anymore than Slack is,,,,,, I just wouldn't recommend  either of them off the bat.
I would however have to recommend Arch for someone wanting to take that type of plunge as it definitely has a good bit more up to date info avalable for installing as well as up to date info on any possible bugs with the fix for said possible bug.
I also wouldn't recommend XFCE for a totally new user if they're installing it to Arch.
To much tweaking and reading to get everything right whch would lead to more frustration and possibly end up giving a user the wrong impression of Arch.
For someone converting recently from windows I'd have to recommend kdemod3.5 as a DE as it gives a more familiar looking setting with less tweaking than XFCE.
[just ignore the crash warning on start up, it's harmless and they're working on it.]
I've installed Arch multiple times myself, this last time to try out ext 4 and there is no way I can install the base plus everything I use in 20 minutes.
4 hours max maybe, provided the female influence in the home leaves me alone that is.
In the event startx or however you're checking X11 is locking up your mouse and kb, try not adding

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

to your xorg.conf.
It wasn't necessary to add it on this last install of mine and it had me scratching my head for a bit as X kept locking up my kb and mouse when it was added.
I have a 120 gig hd with Arch as the only OS on my box and have it set up as

hda 1 swap - 10 gigs
hda 2 / - 20 gigs - ext 4
hda 3 /home - remainder - ext 4

Everything runs fine as it should.
I use rewritable cd's for backing up anything I feel needs it, but that's my choice on how to back things up.
It was already mentioned on your making a decision on what to run etc,,, don't let any of us make the decision for you on anything, it's your box, run it as you see fit irregardless of how anyone else feels.

#33 2009-06-09 17:00:25

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

CaptainKirk wrote:

200M for /boot
4 G swap
25 G /
100 G /var
190 G /home

I'd do that differently. With Arch, 15gb / is more than enough, 10gb is fine, 5gb is doable. It depends what you have installed. I'm only using 7.5gb, and I have a _lot_ of stuff installed and a huge package cache as well. /var I would make 5gb at most. Server files should go under /srv anyway. If you have 2gb ram, 4gb swap is huge overkill. I'd make your swap 1-2gb, or if it's a laptop, 2.5gb. Put the rest in /home (&| /srv). 50mb for /boot is fine also, unless you're dual booting many distros.

Last edited by Daenyth (2009-06-09 17:00:49)

#34 2009-06-09 17:02:45

CaptainKirk

I didn't want to repartition from what I had just out of laziness. This is what I have now:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb3              23G  4.1G   18G  19% /
none                 1014M     0 1014M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1             183M   11M  163M   6% /boot
/dev/sdb5              92G  7.9G   80G   9% /srv
/dev/sdb6             175G   41G  126G  25% /home

Seems to work. smile

But / is pretty small--you are right about that.

#35 2009-06-09 17:46:03

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

CaptainKirk wrote:
methuselah wrote:

You don't need hal. You can disable hotplugging in xorg.conf and use the xf86-input-{mouse,keyboard} drivers.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#36 2009-06-09 22:53:42

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

Please read the whole thread before replying. The OP has already installed Arch now so we're past the decision, installation and initial configuration stage...

#37 2009-06-10 07:03:56

CaptainKirk

I was actually going to ask if there is any reason to prefer "disable hotplugging in xorg.conf" versus running hal.

#38 2009-06-10 07:28:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

AFAIK, only if you need to force specific options for something, or HAL detects things incorrectly. Or you just don't want to run HAL and/or DBUS.

That's AFAIK anyway. Possibly if you're using binary drivers (eg, Nvidia) which need the xorg.conf file. I'm not sure if that's true or not, kinda guessing. I use the binary Nvidia drivers, but I have kept my pre-hotplugging config too.

Last edited by fukawi2 (2009-06-10 07:29:00)

#39 2009-06-10 11:40:04

stryder

fukawi2 wrote:

Please read the whole thread before replying. The OP has already installed Arch now so we're past the decision, installation and initial configuration stage...

Perhaps the OP should indicate something in the thread title, like [DECIDED]?

#40 2009-06-10 11:58:28

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

CaptainKirk wrote:

I was actually going to ask if there is any reason to prefer "disable hotplugging in xorg.conf" versus running hal.

Preference is personal... Try it yourself, decide what you want.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#41 2009-06-10 12:14:24

CaptainKirk

stryder wrote:

Perhaps the OP should indicate something in the thread title, like [DECIDED]?

Done.

B wrote:

Preference is personal... Try it yourself, decide what you want.

I was wondering about if one is faster actually. smile

#42 2009-06-10 12:43:40

dmartins

I don't think hotplugging vs xorg.conf is a question of speed. Now that I've said that, someone will probably time the startup time of X and come tell us that using hal slows down your boot time by 0.5 seconds.

The advantage of using hotplugging (and hal) is that you can add or remove input devices while X is running and they should be configured properly. The disadvantage is that sometimes things aren't configured properly and at this point you have to deal with strange .fdi files in /etc/hal/fdi to fix it.

#43 2009-06-10 12:56:40

CaptainKirk

dmartins wrote:

I don't think hotplugging vs xorg.conf is a question of speed. Now that I've said that, someone will probably time the startup time of X and come tell us that using hal slows down your boot time by 0.5 seconds.

LOL

dmartins wrote:

The advantage of using hotplugging (and hal) is that you can add or remove input devices while X is running and they should be configured properly. The disadvantage is that sometimes things aren't configured properly and at this point you have to deal with strange .fdi files in /etc/hal/fdi to fix it.

I see. Thanks!

#44 2009-06-10 14:22:39

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

fukawi2 wrote:

I have read it, I was just making a comment on a false belief.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer